Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Making our first CC 2x4

MyPigsMom

Cavy Slave
We have two wondeful piggies and it is high time we made them one of these cages..
We are planning on 2x4 bottom part but we want an upstairs also but not too big.
What is the best way of doing it with the upstairs does anyone have a good plan that works great? (open cage)
What sort of ramp and material for ramp is recommended?

Any other tips?
Thanks in advance I'm sure this gets asked a ton i've just been browsing but can't find any specifics..
If there's a post somewhere feel free to link to it too...

bromers

Cavy Slave
1X4 Like going across for easy cleaning or a 2x1 or a 2x1 on both sides.

Ramps people make them from grids and you can use loads of different things. Go to the galleries and look under ramps and steps you will find load of idea's.

MyPigsMom

Cavy Slave
I am hoping to convince my husband not to do the upper level, I did want one to put their pigloo on but it's a big pigloo really and they enjoy running around it so the upper level is kinda redundant.. but i'm not paying for the stuff my husband is and he fancies himself making it two levels.. lol..
Thanx I'll have a good look at the ramps..
He's just at the sign store buying the colorplast now :)

twinkies

Cavy Slave
Your piggies will love their new cage and will thank you. You could make the second story a 2x2 or a 2x1. How we made our ramp is by using 2 of the grids and folding them and using zip ties to hold them together. And I used a kitchen rug with the rubber side up for them to walk on. Just make sure it is secure. Here is the link to my cage and you can see the ramp. Good luck with your cage.

https://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/twinkies_piggies/ShowLetter.jpg[/IMG]
https://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/twinkies_piggies/1.jpg[/IMG]
https://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/twinkies_piggies/2.jpg[/IMG]

In those pics I didn't have the rubber side up on their ramp. You can go look in the forum at all of the pictures at the cages with second stories.

MyPigsMom

Cavy Slave
Oh Twinkies that is the cage I have in mind,, but I couldn't find a picture only because there are so many great ones I was getting a bit overwhelmed..
Yours looks perfect as to what I would like.
Thankyou so much about the ramps. I need to study how you actually did that with the sides they look shorter did you cut them or ?

MyPigsMom

Cavy Slave
ok never mind I see you folded them sorry I havnt' seen the stuff yet so I thought it might be too tough to fold.. ignore...

twinkies

Cavy Slave
YOu have to fold them gently. We used a small PVC pipe to get them even and a rounded curve. My cage is a 2x5 and 2x2 second floor as we have 4 piggies. Maybe in time will add a L shape to it. Want my piggies to have plenty of room, as I have them so spoiled:heart: !

MyPigsMom

Cavy Slave
Well a 2x2 upper would fit our pigloo but i'm thinking I want that on the ground level.. we will see..
I brought our pigs down to the dining room they used to be in my sons room but they were keeping him up.. and since then of course they get treats all day and my dh actually buys them baby spinach and is really into them..
So it was my time to strike and casually show him a C&C page,, that was 2 hours ago and now he's running around all over town to get the stuff..

Yay... (he used to not want anything to do with the pigs now he loves them)

Pinny Gigs

Cavy Slave
I started mine off as a 2x4 with a 1x2 loft where they dined...

100_0468.jpg

But with the ramp and all their toys and blankets they didn't have much room to run around. I extended the upstairs to and entire level and although cleaning has become a little more gymnastic, they now crash around doing laps of both floors and love running upstairs to greet me!

100_0509.jpg

100_0514.jpg

The ramp is made out of two bend grids cable tied together. I covered it by cable tying a door mat to it. It is the perfect size and gives good traction. I bend the grids by putting them half on a stair and standing on the overhanging edge.

Word of warning when bending grids...
If you look carefully round the outside edge you will see the one spot where it is welded together, take care not to bend this edge.

Hope that helped and good luck!

cutepiggy

Cavy Slave
Twinkies
What kind of frame do you have under your cage?

twinkies

Cavy Slave
My hubby made it. We got the supplies at Lowes. We first put the grids together to make sure we had the exact measurement, layed it on the board and he cut it. Made legs and support underneath and some trim to hold the cage in place. That's it and cost for the table was around $20.

C&K

Cavy Slave
Hi MyPigsMom!

I think it is great that you are going to build a C&C cage. I found a 2x2 upper level made it really hard to catch the little boogers on the lower level, but they liked the cave like effect it gave part of the downstairs. I am sure you and family will have a lot of fun with this project and the piggers.

However, I did just want to suggest that spinach is really not a great veggie for the pigs, it is very high in calcium and can lead to bladder stones in time. A little bit every few days will not hurt though, and since it is high in Vitamin C, it does have some benefit other then being tasty!

CCC made a great veggie list on the Common Misconceptions about Guinea Pigs and their Care thread in Cavy Chat. Post #3 I believe. I would really check it out.

I feed my girls everyday Cilantro, Red bell pepper, Romaine, or red/ green leaf lettuce, usually a baby carrot. Every few days they get some dandelion greens, spinach, dill or parsley (not all, one of) A couple times a week I give them some fruit as a treat.

Anyway, I just wanted to add welcome to the forum to both you and Cute Piggy!

Harleigh

Cavy Slave
My husband was also the industrious builder of the cage. I entertain myself with my sewing machine and making cuddle cups and caves. You will love seeing them run around their c&c, I know it!

absolutgyrl

Cavy Slave
Wow - those are really nice cages!!!

MyPigsMom - I bet your cage is great! Are they liking being downstairs in the thick of things a lot? What have they said about their new cage? :)

Hugs - D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.