Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Thanks and Groans

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, I've decided to try this system out.

I'm going to change the name of thanks to Great, for thanking someone for a particularly great post. Initially, I was just going to install the Groan version, then thought I'd better put in the positive version as well.

They will not increase your post count.

I don't have the groan version working properly yet.

The rating system for this forum applies to entire threads.

This is a test period. We'll see how it goes. I can remove it as well...

You can't thank or groan on your own post. You only get to do it once on a post.

Also, the idea is to remove the need for the short 'thank you' posts that people tend to make.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Re: Greats and Groans

So, does it come up if you groan someone? Like does your name appear somewhere?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

Yes, it should act just like the thanks. I'm still working on it.

Your name will appear right under the post that you thanked or groaned on.

twinkies

Cavy Slave

I think it's a good idea. I just hope people won't get carried away on the Groan part and take it literally and get upset by it. Don't want any fights started here, you know what I mean?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

Actually, I'm hoping it cuts down a bit on the fights because people will be able to weigh in their opinion without posting.

I'm just wishing I had the option to suppress the ability to groan or thank until you've had a certain number of posts or have been a member for a certain length of time.

twinkies

Cavy Slave

I am sure it will work out great. As I said, I think this is a great idea! Hats off to you for thinking of this!:D

MetallichicA

Cavy Slave

T, this is a great idea! As you said, it should cut down on the amount of "thanks" posts that don't really add anything to the threads.

I assume this was an addon for vbulletin? I bet you could find a workaround to set it up so that only certain usergroups can use it. Or perhaps even one to limit the number of thanks and groans that one person can use in one day? I've noticed several threads already where EVERY person who posted got a thanks from someone, which seems a little unnecessary.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

Yes, good idea on the limit, but probaby a little hard to do. I'll put a request in to the author of the hack. And yes, I've already requested the feature be limited to certain user groups or length of time of membership or post count. We'll see if he do that soon. Otherwise I may look at doing it myself.

pink_cottonball

Cavy Slave

Thank-you for clarifying.As you must have seen, I created a thread on this. It can be closed now or deleted if you want. So then you would groan someone's post is you disliked what they were saying or if it was providing false information?

jdomans

Cavy Slave

So glad to see what the thank yous are all about. I noticed it last night and was wondering. I am not completely sure how it works but that is ok. I will just keep on being me and see what ahppens. Well ok I will ask, Do you always have to click the tab or if you are grateful/thankful in a post like I was in the one about the male anatomy will it just appear as a thank you?

C&K

Cavy Slave

I've noticed several threads already where EVERY person who posted got a thanks from someone, which seems a little unnecessary.
Personally I disagree. If someone thanked everyone who contributed some helpful advice to their question, I think it makes sense to thank them all, or at least the points you found helpful!

Do you always have to click the tab or if you are grateful/thankful in a post like I was in the one about the male anatomy will it just appear as a thank you

No, it is a tab function, writting it in a post does not count.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave

I think this idea does have it's pros and cons. I'd like to see how it works out.

ellenvega

Cavy Slave

I think this idea does have it's pros and cons. I'd like to see how it works out.

Most definetly. I can see how the "Groaned at" part could lead to some bad feelings.

MetallichicA

Cavy Slave

Cavies-and-Kids said:
Personally I disagree. If someone thanked everyone who contributed some helpful advice to their question, I think it makes sense to thank them all, or at least the points you found helpful!
I guess what I meant is that people who really didn't contribute anything extra to the thread (they just posted something like "I agree") got thanked - it looked like the person who started the thread just thanked every single person who posted in the thread.

I think that sort of thing will probably calm down after a while, though.

C&K

Cavy Slave

I guess what I meant is that people who really didn't contribute anything extra to the thread (they just posted something like "I agree") got thanked - it looked like the person who started the thread just thanked every single person who posted in the thread.

I have not seen that too much, most threads everyone who got thanked added something new, but even if they did not, sometimes just getting additonal support is helpful, instead of one person suggesting something as a good idea, a number of people are! Anyway, maybe these enthusiastic Thankers will balance out those who choose not to use the button.

It is an interesting project, I wonder how it will turn out!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave

I think that you should only use the thanks feature if you find a post truly beneficial to you or your piggie's situation. For example if someone asks a question about if a certain veggie (this happens all the time) is ok to feed and in what amount then the person who posted the question can thank those who gave the most beneficial information. Or the first poster to correctly answer their question. I am hoping this thanks and groan thing doesn't get out of hand. I have a feeling I will use the groan more than the thanks especially with trolls.

csharpmajor

Cavy Slave

I used to be able to see the buttons but after I posted a question and wanted to thank some people who gave really helpful responses the buttons were gone! :\ What's up with that?

smileyface cavy

Cavy Slave

What sort of thing should I groan about??

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

You'll also notice that you have a new title of Cavy Cager. You now need to be on the forum for 30 days and have made 10 posts before you are allowed to give thanks or groans!

ellenvega

Cavy Slave

I am hoping this thanks and groan thing doesn't get out of hand

Me either. But I just saw where someone just picked one random post in a string of not-really helpful posts (they were just chatty posts) and 'groaned' it. For no good reason at all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.