Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Spaying

Macayle
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
I am not knowledgable on rabbits but I am pretty sure I read somewhere that you should get the boy nuetered also. I believe it makes them less tempermental. But like I said I don't know for sure so hopefully someone who knows can help you out.

Macayle

clover-crystal

Cavy Slave
Bucks can still get testical cancer Macayle, so it is worth castrating your buck as well.

Macayle

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
www.rabbit.org has a list of rabbit savvy veterinarians. You could also search for a rabbit rescue or shelter near you for reccomendations.

lilliesmomma

Cavy Slave
Hello!

Thought I'd give my 2 cents. I have a male & female as well. It's worth doing both of them, not necessarily at the same time if you can't afford it. I would do the male first since they get a bit crazed and tempermental with a female nearby. I don't know how old your male is but they are fine until they hit their "teens", then they go bananas for a female. Doesn't matter whether she is spayed or not. I was bitten several times by a male who wasn't neutered, and he was housed in a separate cage from the female but in the same room. I had to house him in another room completely. After he was neutered he became the same loving bun I knew and they (the male & female) are both bonded and living together in harmony.

Both buns are at risk for cancer if not neutered/spayed. The question shouldn't be which bun to do, but which one to do FIRST. I would do the male because of his hormones, then save up and do the female. They both be so much happier. Buns love being with other buns, they love to snuggle and nestle with one another... think of how happy your buns would be housed together for company.

As far as finding a place to do it cheap... I would contact your local animal shelter. They ususally have good contacts and lists of vets.

yulipo

Cavy Slave
I got both of my rabbits fixed (male and female) at my local SPCA for under $50. In my area, most vets would charge about $100 to spay/neuter ONE rabbit. Also, if you don't have a lot of money at the moment, you might want to have your male fixed first. It's generally cheaper to neuter a male than it is to spay a female.

In regards to neutering your male, I copy and pasted this strait from the (broken link removed):

Why spay and neuter rabbits?

Altered rabbits are healthier and live longer than unaltered rabbits. The risk of reproductive cancers (ovarian, uterine, mammarian) for an unspayed female rabbit is virtually eliminated by spaying your female rabbit. Your neutered male rabbit will live longer as well, given that he won't be tempted to fight with other animals (rabbits, cats, etc.) due to his sexual aggression.
Altered rabbits make better companions. They are calmer, more loving, and dependable once the undeniable urge to mate has been removed. In addition, rabbits are less prone to destructive (chewing, digging) and aggressive (biting, lunging, circling, growling) behavior after surgery.
Avoidance of obnoxious behavior. Unneutered male rabbits spray, and both males and females are much easier to litter train, and much more reliably trained, after they have been altered.
Also, The House Rabbit Society's website gives advice on how to go about finding a good rabbit vet. Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.