PDA

View Full Version : cavy chewing on cube grids

cavyskip
05-11-04, 02:39 pm
My cavy loves to chew the paint off the wire grids of a playpen I made. She did it a couple of times and actually ate small chips of paint. Despite other items to chew, she loves to bite the grid. I am concerned about the toxicity of the paint. Any experience with this? thanks

cavylover
05-11-04, 04:30 pm
im sure its fine because my hamsters always chew on the painted bars stripping them to metal and their good n healthy.

cavyskip
05-12-04, 02:24 pm
im sure its fine because my hamsters always chew on the painted bars stripping them to metal and their good n healthy.
thanks for the info cavylover

Treen
05-13-04, 07:02 am
It's actually not too good at all for them to be eating paint - especially if you don't know what's in the paint. I'd try and find out the reason he's chewing the bars and work on that. Have a look at this page http://www.cavyspirit.com/biting.htm - the column on the right deals with reasons they may chew on bars and how you might stop them doing it. Good luck!

mncavylover
06-14-04, 09:57 am
You can also try stripping off most or all of the paint. I know this doesn't sound fun, but if your cavy can chew it off it shouldn't bee too hard to get off with a plastic knife or something. Hope this helps! =)