Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK Has anyone tried Readigrass?

muffin

Cavy Slave
I was wondering if anyone had tried feeding their pigs readigrass and if they liked it?

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Yes that's what I meant, sorry. So it's good huh? I'm going to try and grow some in trays, but the Spillers stuff looks like it would make a good standby. Thanks. I saw your other post about lack of UK forum action. The UK members do browse this section regularly, and if you ask something, chances are it will get answered pretty quick. It's just that most of the action is on the main cavy chat forum and other sections because most members visit there most! But welcome! Am I right in thinking you're new? It's tough living in the UK, guinea pigs just don't get the same prioity as a pet, and supplies can be hard to find compared to America. Grrr, we'll catch up some day!lol

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Too right!
As far as bedding goes, no-one has found Carefresh in larger than 10 litre bags. The woodshavings you get in the Uk aren't kiln dried and recycled paper rpoducts are not safe because the ink might be toxic. I use the fleece method and would wholeheartedly recommend it. It's much cheaper than Carefresh would be, although you do have to spend money on fleece and towels in the first place, unless you have old ones. Mind tend to pee and poop mostly in one corner, so I put about 4 sheets of kitchen paper in the corner, and chnage that twice a day. It absorbs a good amount of moisture and I just lift the whole thing out, poops and all. I only change out the cage completely twice a week. I have two females. I think even after washing, it's much cheaper to use fleece. Newspaper doesn't work as a bedding. Not absorbent enough- I found that out pretty quickly!
Do please post any questions you have, because chances are someone has been there and done the research! If not they might have good tips. I got very cheap towels and fleece at IKEA, if you're interested. If you do go for fleece, choose a light colour, as it is easier to spot blood or discharge if your pig is ill.

I know where you can get Oxbow timothy hay online, food etc. Like I said, just ask:)

It's quite funny, because whenever I tell anyone that I keep my pigs on fleece they just stare at me like I'm crazy, and then I have to explain it all...Argh. The UK is soooo behind!

Muffin, did you get the blue fleece from Ikea? I went last week and bought a second sheet. It's lovely and cheap!

I have a massive bag of readigrass in my garage - In the winter, I tend to feed it more since they don't get access to fresh grass from the garden. Also, when I'm low on hay they get loads. Mine love it - the smell is a bit icky but other than that it's good. A real bargain too

All my fleece is from Ikea and it's great!

Haven't tried readigrass but I may in the future.

I did get mine from IKEA. It's more absorbent after a couple of washes, and label side down is best. It can also go through the wash at 60 degrees celcius. I think I might order some readigrass. They do cheap white towels too. Thin but functional. IKEA also sell plastic tablecloths quite cheap, which I use under my extra fleece blankets at floortime. If you do this, just make sure you supervise the pigs, they might try eating the plastic, as piggies do.

Mine always ate more readigrass than pellets - all the pigs I've had have loved it!

Thanks Treen.

Also, tesco do cheap white towels. I thought they'd stopped and bought IKEA ones. Grrr. Same quality but IKEA ones are more expensive and smaller.

Where can I buy readigrass?

I get mine from the wholesalers that we use, but I have seen it for sale in Jolleys (it doesn't sell animals) in a small bag.

Thistle Cavies Rescue has an online shop and they sell it. Or you can get it from other online pet shops like bunnybasics, or more locally from horse suppliers.

Thanks Muffin! I just ordered some Oxbow Orchard Grass from Thistle Cavies. Didn't think I'd be able to get it at all! Can't wait for it to arrive!!!

Hi jarbax, hope your piggies like the Orchard Grass, I ordered some too. Just a quick note on your order from Thistle Cavies: it's a family-run rescue, and I just found out today when I inquired as to why my order hadn't shown up that a member of the family has been ill in hospital so they are a bit behind with orders. They are usually very fast, but mine has been delayed a bit because the lady that runs it has been very short of time. I told her it was no problem, I was just worried the royal mail sorting office had eaten it! Anyway, she's sent it, and you'll probably get yours quickly too, since she is sorting out the orders now. There probably won't be a delay, but just in case you started to worry!

If you want larger quantities of Orchard Grass, they can get it in for you. Or SPH supplies also sell it along with Western Timothy. There are lots of different sizes, all the way up to 50lb! Anyway, the address is www.sphsupplies.co.uk, and they will make a donation to Reading Guinea Pig Rescue if you mention them in the comments box on the order form. I bought hay from them, their service is excellent, and the hay is a quick turnover. Mine was, and is, lovely and green and fresh. It's cheaper to buy in bulk, but make sure you can store it, and will use it up before it goes stale if you get a larger bag/box.

Hope your piggie(s) like their new hay.

My guinea pigs adore Readigrass, we have bought it for years!

I pretty sure that it is much the same as the "Forage" that Burgess sell, but much cheaper.

Apart from IKea where can you get the fleece from? I use towels and newspaper at the moment. Is fleece better???

If you look up fabric suppliers in the yellow pages, or similar descriptions, you should find someone in your area that has a material shop. Or Giplet found a website called (broken link removed) which has cool designs. They are shut for holidays until the 17th though. you might be able to get fleece in the form of baby blankets or picnic rugs from normal shops like supermarkets or woolworths or something. Just make sure it is the kind of fleece that they make jackets out of, and wash it a couple of times without fabric softener to un-waterproof it. Never use fabric softener with fleece as it reduces its absorbency. Fleece also has a more and a less absorbent side. You are best off getting light-coloured fleece because that way you can quickly spot any runny poos or blood in the urine, which you can't always see easily on darker fleece. The reason why fleece is so good is because it wicks the moisture away from the surface, and down to the towels/newspapers underneath. fleece itself is not absorbent, which means the moisture travels down, leaving the surface dry and avoiding wet patches. Yay!

thabks for the help, I'll have a look around for some.

I got my fleece of a local market, a nice light bright yellow bit. Should i just wash it in water?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.