PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLEASE! i have to give my cavy (dallas TX)

chrystel usa
05-08-04, 09:36 pm
hi everyone,

i'm sad.. but i have no option :rolleyes . My husband is allergic. He can not be in the same area than my "Gamoutch" because is eyes start to tear and his nose running and his throat hurts.

we really can't keep him anymore. He has to be on the balcony all the time, but the temperature are too high now in Texas.. we don't know who to give him to.

"Gamoutch" is a male guinea pig.
He's just adorable, loves to play, being pet and handle. He never bites. He's really really cute.

He's dark brown, light brown and white. (like in the Blockbuster commercial ;) )He's shorthair.
He's got a quite big cage and everything that goes with.

We live in Carrollton, Tx, 75010 (we can drive him to his new home if needed)
Asking Price: $0.00

QHTonka
05-09-04, 08:13 am
I'm sorry I can't take him (Massachusetts here)... but I was just wondering are you sure that it is your pig he is allergic to? What kind of bedding are you using? That is what he could be allergic to! If your using a wood shaving try switching to something like Carefresh... it is more expensive but its worth it if you can keep your pig!!

just a thought and I hope all works out for you and your pig!
Tracy

chrystel usa
05-09-04, 09:06 am
thank you tracy.

in fact we've tried everything :(
we tried different bedding.
we even tried to switch cage (for one with more plastic).

my husband is allergic to guinea pig, rat, mouse, furret... He can not go in a petstore because of that. I go to Petsmart alone.. or he has to stay away from the small animal section.

he feels bad that he's the cause.. but he can't go on like that..

thanks a lot,
Chrystel.

alessa
05-20-04, 04:26 pm
Hey, if you really can't find someone to adopt, you should check out http://www.theguineapigrescue.com/

They are located in Dallas

Dinochick
06-17-04, 11:12 pm
Are you still looking for a home? I am thinking about getting a male friend for my piggy, if he will behave himself this time and not try to mate with just anything on 4 legs!

I live in Lubbock.

ChadWPB
06-20-04, 01:54 pm
Giving away a piggie due to allergies is a load of crap, and should be a last resort, not a first resort. Please tell him to get his allergies treated.

Your husband is a jerk if he is forcing you to give up your pig.

My wife has BAD allergies (mostly sinus issues, but severe) to pigs from the start, yet we adopted our way to SIX of them. She loves them all and would never consider giving them away and takes meds every day to keep the allergies under control.

Emily F.
07-21-04, 06:18 pm
Chad, Please be nice. Her husband is most likely NOT a jerk. Guinea Pigs are NOT a way of life. Yes, they are wonderful animals, but you shouldn't EVER say rude things about her husband. It's certaintly Not his fault that he is allergic to her Guinea Pigs. Giving away a Guinea Pig bc of someones allergys is NOT a load of crap. Think about what you are saying b4 you say it. I think you shold apologize to her.

Chrystal- There might be a medication for your husband to take for the allergic reaction to your Guinea Pig. Just look around, or go to a doctor. :-)

Lots of Love,

Em

chrystel usa
07-21-04, 09:28 pm
thank you Emily.

my husband is NOT a jerk. i am the one who chose to give my guinea pig away.. he always tells me he's ok.. even under a thousand of napkin!

another thing.. i have a boxer.. and he has allergy to.

anyway.. i have some great news!!

Gamoutch found a great home ;)
I can go see him whenever i want. he's doing great and has a huge space to live and run. he has a friend guinea pig (spay female) to play with.

i miss him a lot.. but i know he's happy so i'm ok

Thank you for all your post,

Chrystel.

Emily F.
07-22-04, 05:53 pm
Your welcome! :-)

That's WONDERFUL news, about finding a home for your baby! :-)

I am getting a guinea pig this Sat. I am very excited.

PM me if you want to talk sometime.

Lots of Love,

Em

Dinochick
07-22-04, 08:30 pm
Glad to hear youfound a good home for your Cavy, and what a plus for it to be somewhere where you can visit him :)

ChadWPB
07-27-04, 10:25 pm
Chad, Please be nice. Her husband is most likely NOT a jerk. Guinea Pigs are NOT a way of life. Yes, they are wonderful animals, but you shouldn't EVER say rude things about her husband. It's certaintly Not his fault that he is allergic to her Guinea Pigs. Giving away a Guinea Pig bc of someones allergys is NOT a load of crap. Think about what you are saying b4 you say it. I think you shold apologize to her.

Chrystal- There might be a medication for your husband to take for the allergic reaction to your Guinea Pig. Just look around, or go to a doctor. :-)

Lots of Love,

EmTruth hurts. I tell it like it is. If you don't like it, learn to love it, because (not "bc" - they ask you on this forum to use PROPER ENGLISH!) someone on a forum will not change who I am.

Read this: http://cavyspirit.com/allergies.htm

My wife is severely allergic and would never give up our six pigs.

My sister was forced to give up her dog because of allergies. She was upset over that for a long time. Allergies can almost always be treated. I owe no apology, and I repeat, he's a jerk. I am very sorry that you had to give up your pig. What a load of crap!

He was just too lazy to see an allergist to have his allergies treated. You'll get no apology from me for this one. Anyone who runs a rescue (including the owners of this forum!) would agree with me.

mncavylover
07-28-04, 03:57 pm
That's sad you had to give him away. I'm glad you found him a new home, but wasn't there some way to get your husband's allergies treated? There are so many good medicines out there. All you need to do is ask. Well, hope you're ok with your decision...

Emily F.
08-02-04, 05:13 pm
Chad, what the heck are you even talking about?? I don't care what you have to say. Bc all of it is rude. Geeze, don't get so offensive, and start saying stuff.

Emily F.
08-02-04, 05:14 pm
By the way, I don't have to "love" what you have "to say". I don't even KNOW YOU!!!! Geeze.

Emily F.
08-02-04, 05:19 pm
You also have no sense of respect for other people. Do you know her husband? NO

Should you be critizing her husband?
NO

Should you apologize? YES

Byt the way, you are WAY too into your guinea pigs. There are sacrifices in life tha have to be made.

Chad, when you said that "Anyone who runs a rescue (including the owners of this forum!) would agree with me.", I hope you don't mean in the WHOLE WORLD, bc you are wrong, wrong, wrong. You don't know what other people think, or what they have to say. Get your facts straight, because I never said that I wanted to change you. I DON'T EVEN KNOW YOU!!!

END OF DISCUSSION

ChadWPB
08-02-04, 05:46 pm
It's not just guinea pigs, it's any pet.

Until you see your own family member (my sister, in particular) upset because she had to give up something because the other partner was too lazy to treat the allergies or compromise somehow, deal. In my sister's case, her (now ex-)husband was also severelty allergic to cigarette smoke, but didn't give those up.

And I wasn't talking about the whole world, I was talking about the little slice known as this forum.

I still owe no one anything. Deal with it. There are opposing opinions to your own out there, you know. The more you order me to apologize, the less likely I will deem it necessary.

Emily F.
08-02-04, 06:20 pm
Chad, I dont care if you apologize or not. I said I THINK you should appologize. Chad you dont' know about any of my family members....if they had to give up anything or not for their spouses, etc. And yes they have, my sister.

And there are opposing opinions to your own, too.

ChadWPB
08-02-04, 07:04 pm
Byt the way, you are WAY too into your guinea pigs. There are sacrifices in life tha have to be made.
Exactly. And sometimes the sacrifices should be made on behalf of the guinea pigs one is responsible for.

I bet you never even read the Cavy Spirit link I gave you.

Emily F.
08-03-04, 06:46 am
But the sacrifices were made for her husband. When Chrystal made her descion, she made it for her husband. Because she loves her husband more than her guinea pigs.

I didn't see and cavy spirit link....please don't send anything. Because I will not read it.

mncavylover
08-03-04, 12:10 pm
Here is the link chad is talking about: http://cavyspirit.com/allergies.htm. =)

ChadWPB
08-03-04, 02:37 pm
But the sacrifices were made for her husband. When Chrystal made her descion, she made it for her husband. Because she loves her husband more than her guinea pigs.

I didn't see and cavy spirit link....please don't send anything. Because I will not read it.
I posted the link on the forum. I wouldn't "send" you anything. Seems to me you're not even reading and understanding my posts.

And you tell me that there are opposing opinions. How about reading the opinion of someone who really knows about guineas. My, my are we a little bit closed minded?

Oh and by the way, I'm married. Being a husband myself, I'd never force my wife to give up a piggie. I'd make the sacrifice for my wife and the happiness of the marriage in general.

Now please re-read my posts, and take a look at the Cavy Spirit link. Hmor me.

Emily F.
08-03-04, 05:05 pm
How dare yu judge me! And make false statements. I feel bad for your wife. I'm not closed minded, so please don't say crap about me, when you don't know me.
And I do know about guinea pigs. I'm not an expert, never said I was. And you arnt either. Even though you never said you were, you act like it. so who are you anyways you certainly act like it.

So please lets just end this discussion

mncavylover
08-03-04, 05:57 pm
Sorry to you Emily (as a teenager), but stop acting like this is a chat room... Again, since I'm only 15 I feel bad telling you this, but it's true on this thread. You're pretty cool on the others so keep that up here... the hubby could have gotten his allergies treated if he asked the doctor. I know I have allergies to animal dander AND I have allergies to hay. I take meds for it and it's usually fine. She found them a pretty good home, though, so please, let's all just end this on good terms. =) What's been done is done.

Piglet
08-04-04, 02:40 am
ditto mncavylover, what matters is is that the piggy found a new loving home. It did work out in the end.

Emily F.
08-04-04, 06:29 pm
Please don't tell me what I should and should not be doing. Your not right, I'm not right, and chad is not right. You mncavylover don't know me. Nor does anyone else.

So let me ask you this: Why didn't you say something to Chad?

I'm not going to be involved in this website/forum anymore.

Bye

Some of you guys act like everything can be fixed..when giving up a guinea pig is not the end of the world.

mncavylover
08-04-04, 06:33 pm
Please don't tell me what I should and should not be doing. Your not right, I'm not right, and chad is not right. You mncavylover don't know me. Nor does anyone else.

So let me ask you this: Why didn't you say something to Chad?

Bye

Some of you guys act like everything can be fixed..when giving up a guinea pig is not the end of the world.This is <i>exactly</i> what I was talking about. If you don't love your piggy that much, why did you bother to come on this forum anyway? (Sorry to everyone for MY teen chatroom moment here...) And why does it matter if I don't say anything about chad? Perhaps I just wantd this discussion with you. If you don't want to get involve din a discussion that may potentially lead to people disagreeing with you, then this forum isn't for you. I'm sorry it had to end with you leaving. Nobody knows anyone here, so according to you, should we just let them do whatever they feel like? That's the point of an online forum... to talk to people you might not know. Again, I'm very sorry to see that you could not resolve this conflict and had to leave. Good luck with your next forum! =)

jennylynn
08-10-04, 09:23 pm
I think that Emily's first problem is that she seems them as "just" guinea pigs, and not a living breathing member of her family who's life she is responsible for.

Hopefully it will click with her someday.

Emily F.
08-11-04, 07:26 am
Jenny..get over it please. I don't have a problem. You need to be quiet.
You don't know what the heck I "see" guinea pigs at. So stop assuming.

NoVeil
08-11-04, 08:17 am
It is not an assumption on Jenny's part. It is based on what you have said regarding your guinea pigs and guinea pigs in general. I also have come to the same conclusion, that your committment to pets is not the way the vast majority of us here think it should be. That is your right to think that way, it is our right to think that it is wrong.

Any pet should be brought into a home with the life long commitment it deserves. It should be the end of the world if you have to give that pet up. The fact that the statement was made that it was not a big deal is a big clue that the views differ wildly.

LiciaMommycott
08-11-04, 11:27 am
Jenny..get over it please. I don't have a problem. You need to be quiet.
You don't know what the heck I "see" guinea pigs at. So stop assuming.
I thought you said you weren't going to be a part of this forum anymore? You even said goodbye. Please keep in mind that in a forum, people are free to disagree with each other and you should not take it as a personal affront. Getting hysterical only gets you more negative attention.

At this point, I can't even remember who had to give up pigs because of the husband's allergies? However, my opinion is hooray for the wife who rightly put her husband's needs before the needs of the pigs. I love my pigs but if a member of my family had serious problems with them, I would find them a good home. I would miss them and regret that I had to give them up but let's do a reality check. The people in our lives are more important than our animals.

In fact, we got two wonderful cats from a family whose new baby was seriously allergic. They were heartbroken to give up their cats who for the last four years had been their only "babies." However, we gave them a great home and love them. We just lost one last year to cancer (after spending $6000 in 1999 on cancer treatments for him) but the other we've had now for 10 years.

Any piggie lover can feel free to disagree with me and guess what? I won't break down over it.

Emily F.
08-11-04, 05:15 pm
I agree with you...Any pet that is brought is someones home should have a lifelong commitment.... I have 3 cats, one with three legs..that we've paid thousands of dollars on..because she got hit by a car...some people would just put the cat to sleep...but I did not put her to sleep...we do evreything we can for her....she is not in any pain, she is happier than any other cat I know. I also have 1 guinea pig, 1 1/2 months old. 1 hamster. And 1 bird that I rescued. I would never give them up.... Just because what I "say" on this "forum" dosent mean anything...I don't care what you guys say...I just think that it's not right...

Pce out

mncavylover
08-11-04, 05:21 pm
I think that what she's trying to say is this:

No, we don't "know" you except for what you post on this foru. If you feel another way, please do not post something that does not truly represent your feelings.
Oh, and I would also advise you against "leaving" a forum unless you actually plan on doing so.
Just my 2.5 cents. =)

Emily F.
08-11-04, 07:37 pm
I post things on this "forum" that represent my feelings. Nobody can make me leave this forum. I know that people would talk about me...so I am leaving now.

LiciaMommycott
08-11-04, 08:35 pm
I post things on this "forum" that represent my feelings. Nobody can make me leave this forum. I know that people would talk about me...so I am leaving now.
Promises, promises....

NoVeil
08-11-04, 09:13 pm
You think rather highly of yourself. Look around, the only time people "talk" about you is to refute some statement you make. Leave, stay, whatever...

Emily F.
08-12-04, 07:07 am
Did I ever say that I "PROMISED" everyone that I was going to leave?

I don't think so

supertramp
08-12-04, 11:17 am
Did I ever say that I "PROMISED" everyone that I was going to leave?

I don't think so
Listen, we really don't care whether you leave or whether you stay. If you are going to stay, however, then maybe you should stick to talking about guinea pigs, considering that they are the main point of this forum (please notice no speech marks), and stop idly bickering with other members.

This is the internet, everyone is faceless, including you.

mncavylover
08-12-04, 04:32 pm
Please don't tell me what I should and should not be doing. Your not right, I'm not right, and chad is not right. You mncavylover don't know me. Nor does anyone else.If you do not want our opinions, please stop posting. Like the above post, all people on the internet are faceless, including yourself. Look at what you have posted thus far, and view it all objectively. What would you think of yourself if you were someone else viewing this forum?

Bye
I post things on this "forum" that represent my feelings. Nobody can make me leave this forum. I know that people would talk about me...so I am leaving now.That's twice you have said you would leave. This is a good example of how you misrepresent yourself on this forum. If you are not going to leave, please do not give us the misconception of thinking you are. If you do not speak the truth and have to "promise" to do everything, how can we believe what you say?

If you say you're leaving, we expect you are telling the truth, just as we expect what you say here to represent you. How can we possibly know you if you make false statements about your feelings all the time? Please, do try to be honest with us and we will respect you a bit more. Thanks! =)

Let's all please just stop this as it is pointless and getting nowhere. Many people are even forgetting what the purpose of this forum is, so let's all end this on a good note. Thank you!!! =)