Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Piggie

barty12

Cavy Slave
On sunday I got a second pig so my other pig could have some copany so Tommy Boy, the new one, is in quarntine. I was wondering if yall had tips on when my piggers meet ie when they get to see eachother?

C&K

Cavy Slave
Yup, that is the best info around!

Try to make sure it is neutral, like a couch or floor that neither play on very often. Put down hay and hidy houses, and veggies, as the distractions can go a long way to a happy intro.

NEVER introduce by putting the one into the others cage... Very bad news!

Good luck, where did you get him?

barty12

Cavy Slave
I know yall hate to get pets from petsmart but i love the one near my house. Because the person that takes care of the little piggies handles them and she has two of her own and they do give them veggies and Vitiman c and they have an onsite vet. OH and thanks for the advice Cavies and kids!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

barty12

Cavy Slave
MAN I SHOULD HAVE READ THAT BEFORE, i feel like a bad idiodic person now i will never buy pets from PETSMART and espically PETCO

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Don't feel bad. You just didn't know. Most of us were in your position before we saw the light. I know I shopped at petsmart all the time before I came here and heard of it's evils. Be proud of yourself for changing your mind though. Good job.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
I agree way to go :). Now spread the word and enlighten others.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I am currently introducing a new pigwig - Marble, to my recently bereaved one year old girl - Mary.
Sectioned off Mary's disinfected pen - so they see and smell eachother - without any pressure.
Put them together for first time in shop-bought cage, with plenty grass, veggies etc- lots of nerve-racking noises, posturing and stuff! After several more failed attempts (had to remove one or other before fireworks!) - spent 4 hours last weekend in bathroom with them - went much better - MORE ROOM!!!
They are now in 3 by 4 cube cavycage with new-today loft - no bother atall!!! Hip Hip HOORAY!!!
Into our third week - am considering letting them spend their first night together. Would do it all again - except the shop-cage bit!!

Good luck - let me know how you get on!

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Why would you put them into a pet-store cage?

Just introduce on neutral territory, it should be large enough for them to be able to get away from each other.

Also, by introducing them and separating them again, you are causing more stress, so once you introduce them, let them stay together and work out who will be the boss.

barty12

Cavy Slave
well they met last night and my older one, barty, started humpping tommy and then he put this stuff on tommy(it turned white after awhile). After that it calmed down a little so i decided just put them back in their cages and let them rest. Today when i get home from school i think i will do a buddy bath.:)

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Bad idea Barty. The more you introduce and then seperate the worse it will get when you introduce.

Mounting and ejaculation during meeting are normal. Don't seperate when you meet again, and MAKE SURE BOTH PIGS ARE MALE.

barty12

Cavy Slave
oh!!! ok, i was just scaurd they were gonna hurt eachother in the cage but now i now not to separate. THANKS SLAP!!!!!!!!!!!:)

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Nonamian-girl, I put the piggies in a shop bought cage (brought down from the attic) because I didn't know any better at the time!!! My previous two had lived happily in a home made pen (4ft by 4ft) which I temporarily sectioned off to introduce Marble. I really hope that I didn't cause them too much stress by returning them to their seperated pen - feel bad now - will know better next time! Thanks.
Can happily confirm that they have spent almost a week now happily together in their new cavy-cube-cage! Lots of racing around and popcorning!
Barty - you're not alone in trying to work out the best way to introduce your pigsters!!! I was like you and got scared with all the aggressive behaviour! Nerve-racking!
Lots of good advice here though! Am glad I found you - cavy cages forum!!! Learning loads.

C&K

Cavy Slave
I put the piggies in a shop bought cage (brought down from the attic) because I didn't know any better at the time!!!
We have all done stupid things at one time at least when we did not know better! Try not to feel bad about it.

It is great they are getting along now!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.