PDA

View Full Version : My piggy died

I_<3_cavies
03-14-06, 10:38 pm
:sad: Today when I got home my guinea pig, Buddy, died.:eek: . I was so sad when I got her out of her cage she just collasped and died about 2 minuts later...im going to miss her and so is Noodle. We got Noodle a new friend but they seem to not like eachother.:( I made my first c&c cage today though but it was still a bad day.

missesd
03-14-06, 10:47 pm
Ohh, I am so, so sorry..... Rest in peace sweet Buddy.

nikilovesdogs
03-14-06, 10:55 pm
I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. It is always painful to lose a beloved pet.

How/where did you find a replacement piggy so quickly? That certainly was fast!

Also, congrats on building the C&C cage. Post pics when you can.

Percy's Mom
03-14-06, 11:31 pm
I'm so sorry to hear about Buddy's passing.

I was wondering where you got a new friend for Noodle so quickly as well. Also, it seems like you did not quarantine the new pig at all. Even though it's a good idea to get a friend for your lone pig, the newbie still should have been quarantined to make sure that it is not sick. I'm not surprised that Noodle does not seem to like the new pig. You brought someone else in within moments of her old friend passing. Noodle is still grieving.

I_<3_cavies
03-14-06, 11:51 pm
What is quarentine? Also when I took them out to be together they just layed side by side together but once there in their cage Noodle is aggresive. Will they ever become friends?

Hansel
03-14-06, 11:53 pm
It is extremley important to quarintine if you have purchased a pig from the petstore. I did not know to quarintine when I adopted my second pig, but he was from a shelter and was treated and healthy when I brought him home thank goodness. Petstore pigs can carry ALL sorts of crap, mites, URI's (which can effect both pigs), they can also be miss-sexed. You also want to make sure that you have cleaned and disinfected your cage if you do not know what your first pig died of, you dont want your other pig to get sick or your new one who could be more susepatble to sickness. It would be a good idea to treat for mites and a vet visit would be a good idea to check on overall health, and to make sure he is the sex that you think he is. I am sorry for your loss.

Hansel
03-14-06, 11:54 pm
Quarintine is keeping the new pig in a seperate cage in another room for 2-3 weeks. This protects your current pig from catching any illnesses that your new pig may be carrying.

I also see on your profile that you have a petstore cage? Unless you have paid an arm and a leg for a huge cage this is WAY too small to keep two males in. Males need ample space especially when they are being introduced. Chances are they will continue to fight. Each needs his own food bowl, water bottle, pigloo etc. It is rare to find a store cage that will house all of that and two pigs. C&C's are really easy to build and they are cheap! If you choose to build one this website will help you with ideas and how to do it.

PiggieMom
03-14-06, 11:58 pm
For tips on socializing new cagemates check out this link: http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Introductions

As far as quarintining, it is best to keep them a part for the first few weeks, but it sounds like it's too late for that. So make sure to keep an eye on both of them.

Check out this site for common illnesses that can come from the new piggie: http://guinealynx.info/common_mistakes.html

Good luck!

I_<3_cavies
03-15-06, 12:00 am
Thanks Hansel but they are girls and I just build a new c&c cage today so no germs from Buddy (the piggy who died)

PiggieMom
03-15-06, 12:03 am
The worry of germs is not primarily from Buddy (although it is good they are in a C&C now :) ) It is from the new pig. Where did you get this pig? You don't know where it's been so far, or what disease it might have. But like I said, too late now. Just for future reference new pigs need to be kept seperate from the other pigs for a few weeks.

Hansel
03-15-06, 12:06 am
Good job with the C&C cage! They are great and I am sure your pigs will be very happy.

I should have re-read that first post! Didnt see you mentioned it there :)

Susan9608
03-15-06, 05:56 am
I thought Noodle and Buddy were both males? And now you have a female? Where did you get the new pig from?

C&K
03-15-06, 07:54 am
I am sorry to hear about the passing of your pig. However you did mention a little while ago that you where finding "rusty pee" spots in the cage. It sounds like she may have had a UTI poor thing. I am concerned that Noodle may have the same thing. You really need to separate them NOW, and keep them separate for at least 3 weeks. It is possible if either one of them has something, they have not shared it yet.

Also, it is very rare that two pigs are instant friends, when you do introduce them to eachother, follow the proper introductions sequence as found on Cavyspirit.com under "Socialization". It is really important.

Percy's Mom
03-15-06, 09:05 am
Noodle and Buddy were always female. I questioned that myself with the names initially. Quarantining doesn't have anything to do with your pig that passed, and at this point, since the new pig has already been introduced, it's irrelavent. It is to insure that the new pig doesn't have any hidden illnesses that might be able to be passed on to your existing pigs. Guinea pigs are notorious for hiding sickness. If you get any future pigs, they need to be housed in another room for around 3 weeks before you introduce them.

I_<3_cavies
03-15-06, 12:53 pm
Well thanks everyone I will take both my piggies to the vet soon there is a small animal vet right across the street. Here are some pictures of my new and 1st c&c cage. It is 2x3 but I know the requirements are 2x4 but i dont have anymore connectors.:sad: Where can you get connecters besides online becuase I want to expand the cage.

I_<3_cavies
03-15-06, 12:56 pm
Here is a picture of Buddy:heart: . R.I.P I miss you and love you, my first guinea pig.:guilty:

nonamian_girl
03-15-06, 12:57 pm
You can connect the remaining grids using cable ties. You can get a 100 of them for a couple dollars at hardware stores and computer stores. Your cage is really nice.

Why did you get a pig at a pet store though?

nikilovesdogs
03-15-06, 12:59 pm
I didn't see a reply to my original question. Where did you find the replacement piggy? Did I miss that? I'm just curious where these piggies are coming from. Do you have a rescue nearby?

Percy's Mom
03-15-06, 01:00 pm
If you can get to a hardware store, you can use plastic cable ties in place of the connectors.

You really need to separate them NOW, and keep them separate for at least 3 weeks. It is possible if either one of them has something, they have not shared it yet.

Seperating them now would honestly be useless. They've been living together for a day or more, and if one of them gets sick, it would be impossible to tell who gave what to who, both would have to go to the vet, and both would need treatment.

I_<3_cavies
03-15-06, 01:02 pm
I got it from a rescue but Buddy was from a petstore now I went and told the petstores all about there bad food and treats and how they have cancer causing ingredients. I also told them they should take in pigs from the shelters not breeders.

nonamian_girl
03-15-06, 01:04 pm
I retract my assumption, I'm very glad you rescued your pig! And Buddy was georgeous.

How are the two getting along now?

What's the new piggy's name?

nikilovesdogs
03-15-06, 01:07 pm
That's excellent that you rescued the new pig.

Remember that you can always go to them for support and answers to questions as well. :)

PiggieMom
03-15-06, 01:07 pm
Great job on rescuing your new piggie! And going back to the pet store and telling them what-for! The only pet store around me is a all purpose store (like Wal-mart). You can imagine the conditions the animals are kept in there. :(

Is the rescue you got your new pig from reputable? I hope so.

C&K
03-15-06, 01:08 pm
Seperating them now would honestly be useless. They've been living together for a day or more, and if one of them gets sick, it would be impossible to tell who gave what to who, both would have to go to the vet, and both would need treatment.

Sorry if I am wrong, but is it usually recommended if you have several pigs and one gets sick to isolate it incase it is contagious and has not already shared? If one gets sick yes, it may be impossible to tell who gave to who, but isn't the point to try and prevent both from getting sick?

Percy's Mom
03-15-06, 01:11 pm
Yes, preventing them from getting sick is the point, but if they've already been introduced and are getting used to each other, if neither is showing symptoms, it would be more stressful and would do more harm than good to seperate them again now.

C&K
03-15-06, 01:19 pm
Just because they are asymtomatic, does not mean that they are not indeed, sick. It could take 2 weeks to develop symptoms, usually it is at this point that they are contagious...

I agree to disagree; and do agree that it would be unlikely.

All the best wishes for you I_<3<cavies

bromers
03-15-06, 01:21 pm
I am so so sorry for your loss. I am sure you gave buddy the a good quality kind of life.

Marlania
03-15-06, 01:25 pm
Sorry for your loss.

I_<3_cavies
03-15-06, 01:44 pm
Thanks everyone and the new guinea pigs name is peanut butter. I planted flowers near buddys grave today.

Herbie Girl
03-17-06, 08:30 am
Sorry about your loss. Your new piggy is a cutie..Congrats.

Becky

C&K
03-17-06, 08:32 am
Peanut Butter Is a great name!

I_<3_cavies
03-17-06, 12:49 pm
Thanks everyone!