Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Climbinb mesh grids?

I_<3_cavies

Cavy Slave
Can guinea pigs climb out of their cage if you have a c&c cage made out of mesh grids?:?: :eek:

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't think so since most guinea pigs are poor climbers and only their toe nails fit inside mesh grid holes. However I know quite a few guinea pigs that can escape regular grids pretty easily. They just don't want to. I have 2 that can easily get over 1 grid and rolo has climbed up 3 grids but that's only to get back into her cage. Unless given a very obvious opportunity such as a house right next to the edge of the cage that they can hop onto and over the side guinea pigs rarely find reason to try to leave their cage. Quite a few will spend all their floortime trying to get back into their cage. If you build a tiny cage like 2x2 grids and leave it empty without much for houses or toys they might decide it's better to be on the other side but otherwise escapes are very rarely a problem.

bromers

Cavy Slave
If you pile items high and near enough they may decide they want to jump if they can but I see no reason for them to want to. They are not jumping animals.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
I have mesh grids and regular ones. My pigs have never climbed the mesh grids. The girls are on the other side of the divider, so if he was able to, Trixie would have already been over the divider. Their nails can't fit in the holes enough to provide enough support to climb.

oscar54

Cavy Slave
Well, When I firts built my cage we did not put a roof on top. When I first slowly introduced my boys and then seperated them, one of them climbed out while the family was eating and to my surprise he was still alive from the 4 foot jump down on to the floor...he was fine and even managed his way to the bag of hay and munched down on some... I even caught him a second time climbing the grids and therefore decided to enclose it.

I_<3_cavies

Cavy Slave
Oscar, do you have cubes or mesh grids? Mesh grids have smaller holes.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Nobody has ever tried to climb or jump here. My second story has the grids bent so the wall is much lower and still no jumpers or anything.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.