Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Any kind of grass ok?

Miss Piggy

Cavy Slave
I wanted to get some timothy hay at a feed store, but my mother complained that guinea pigs don't need a special kind of hay. She said the grass in our backyard was fine since we haven't treated it with any chemicals or anything of that nature. She also said they could survive on the rose leaves we have in our yard. On every website I always hear that timothy hay is the way to go. Is it safe to also use fresh grass as long as it is untreated? Or should I just stick to timothy hay? And also, is there a special grass that maybe I could grow in a pot for my GPs?

Miss Piggy

mom to cujo

Cavy Slave
You should try to find some reliable information about gp's diets. Hay is a requirement in their diet due to the fiber content that is needed for their digestive systems. I also feed Cujo indoor grown grass as a treat, but keep his cage loaded up with the hay that he loves. He also has taken quite a liking to oat hay.

Branskins

Cavy Slave
Grow indoor grass. Its fast and more safe. Rose leaves are also okay to feed them. Its a good treat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.