Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage planning with pictures

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Almost all the water is cleaned up, there is new carpet in the flooded room and hallway, and stuff is being put back so we can actually walk through the apartment. We moved the bedroom to the room with new carpet instead of putting the pigs and fish tank back in there. The new guinea pig room is wider than the other one so I want to do wider cages instead of longer ones. This room is about 10'x12' but if you want exact I have to measure it again. It needs to fit the 4' fishtank, 2' book case, Chris' desk, and all 9 guinea pigs. I think we have decided the best fit for everything now we just need to decide how to build the cages. I'm willing to do small 2nd levels but I've had it with stacked cages so all of these will sit individually in their own space. I have outlines setup but ran into trouble.

Girls' cage first:
Needs to fit 6 guinea pigs.
I put a 2x3 section from the corner to the fish tank and connected it by a 1grid wide, 2grid long section to a 3x3 area along the middle of the wall. That gives the girls(and Licorice) around 20sq ft and still allows us to reach all areas of the cage.
Ignore the stained floor. This carpet obviously needed replaced even before we moved in.

2x3 and connecting section with gap for reaching pigs and cleaning. Taken while standing on a chair that kept spinning sideways:

3x3 section connecting off to the right to the 2x3:

I think this is the final setup for this cage except maybe a small 2nd level. Any wider and it runs into Chris' computer chair and any longer I won't be able to clean it easily. Suggestions are still welcome.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Boys cage:
Needs to fit 3 hyper boys that like to pick on each other. They did have 18sq ft of cage but I don't think we have the space to do that again.
I was going to do a 2x5 in the closet and when I measured it came out perfect aside from the cage would be small for the 3 of them. Turns out I was off by 1" and the grids on the end hit the closet doors so only 4 grids fit lengthwise. Since this cage was already slightly small if I have to cut off even an inch I am not building it that way. A 3 grid wide cage fits but won't be easy to clean since access is only from 1 side. It can't be wider than 3grids in any spot or we can't get between the 2 cages easily. That means adding an L shape won't be effective. I'm out of ideas on this one and will probably just have to do a 3x4 on the floor and climb in it for cleaning and guinea pig catching.

Any other ideas?

bromers

Cavy Slave
Ok here is my view the girls cage well you need to get 9 into that cage a 2x6 is just big enough for 4 girls so a 3x6 overs abit more space but it isnt when you think about it because of the 2x2 you have taken out. So I think you should take out the 2x2 bit and make it bigger into a full 3x6 or atleast extend the or atleast take out 1x2 of it so it is still indented but I like the whole idea of it.

Also anouther thing to do is maybe make two 1x3 haylofts at each end for alittle extra space.

Ok now the boys:

Well I love the doors and I think it would be a shame not to be able to use them to trap them :D. Ok how about a 3x4 but the 3x4 only does on for 2 grids then it turns into a 2x4 does that make sence. I think that maybe enough im not sure.

Anyway its only suggestions and I may have confused you which I have seemed to do myself.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I need 6 pigs in the first one and they were in a 2x8 which is 21 sq ft. Not counting the 2x2 connecting section that cage is 19.75sq ft. It's ever so slightly small but wider. The main reason their cage seemed small before was the lack of width. They couldn't run laps because the cage was so narrow the houses or other guinea pigs got in the way. If I fill in the 2x2 section I can't reach half the cage from outside of it. I've debated it but it might be too much work to clean then.

I don't know... I really wish I could use that whole area for the girls cage so maybe I will try to move the boys cage somewhere else. Probably don't have room anywhere else though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.