Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blue grass hay or timothy?

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
Hi I am going to order km hay and I was wondering if the blue grass is just as good as the timothy? I am asking because I was reading on the km website that the timothy is 3rd cut and that it needs specail care to not become moldy.
So is it safe to feed bluegrass in unlimited quanity?
Thanks!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Bluegrass is absolutely safe unlimited. It's another grass hay like the timothy is, so not really any different at least in function for the pigs. My guys eat the bluegrass all the time. I just ordered a small box of the 3rd cut timothy myself for some variety.

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
Awesome thanks Percy! I am going to order 35 pounds do you think that Cody(my piggy) will be able to eat all that before it goes bad?

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
Ok well I just ordered my first box of hay from km! I am so excited and I hope Cody likes the blue grass since that is what I ordered!

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
I like the blue grass alot more. They are both great but it just seems alot less dusty and easier to clean up to me.

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
Thanks babygrl1234, I hope Cody likes it.

snickers66

Cavy Slave
I was going to order 25 lbs for my 2 boys.. but I was wondering the same
thing.. how long do you think 25 lbs would last for 2 boys & how long does
hay stay fresh & green ??

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Mine only get timothy as a treat since we are allergic to it and otherwise I ordered 200lbs of KM's bluegrass a few months back. Stored properly hay is good for up to a year but around 6months is probably the maximum you should plan for. The fat soluable vitamins break down around that time and there's the chance hay can go bad due to getting wet(even just humid weather) or being exposed to sunlight. Plus you don't know how long ago the hay you get was cut. Around this time of year most of the hay you order is from several months ago and there won't be new hay until spring unless you get hay from warmer climates where the grass can still grow.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I think she's out of that one batch of 3rd cut Timothy that needs special care. It was a batch she got that hadn't been cured long enough before she got it so thus the reason for the special instructions. Both the bluegrass and 3rd cut are great.

twinkies

Cavy Slave
Can someone give me the link to get some KM's bluegrass hay? Sometimes when I put in fresh timothy, they will start sneezing. Maybe it's the dust? Any ideas? Thanks

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.