Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Heggies Like...Hedgehogs

I_<3_cavies

Cavy Slave
This question is for the people that have hedgehogs well um do you like them? How do you pick them up if they are so pockey(sp)? Well thats it thanks!

I_<3_cavies

Cavy Slave
Thanks, they look like hedgies and I guess they arent to pockey becuase that person is holding them!

shimmerkisss

Cavy Slave
I have a hedgie and I pick him up with a towel since he's pretty grumpy. He likes to run around my living room and sniff away. When he's in his cage he loves his wheel and most of his toys. He spends the majority of the day sleeping and is up at night. They're great pets:cheerful:

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I've held other people's hedgehogs and they aren't that pokey unless they don't want to be picked up. If they roll in a ball or raise their spikes then they aren't so great to try to hold but if they've been handled right and get to know you then they keep their spikes flat.

Babbie

Cavy Slave
I own a hedgie (and that's why i am here, getting info on building her a c&c cage...) anyways, if she does not want to be picked up she can be quite pockey (usually she is like that if i wake her up..) When she is in a "good" mood, she will have all her quills close to her body which makes painless and easy to hold her :) Her belly is super soft, feels like puppy coat :)

Here is my little lady:
IMG_0700.jpg

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
My friend had a Hedgehog and I used to hold it all the time, it never poked me. I have never owned a hedgehog but I always liked them and thought they would make great pets.
I love your hedgehog, looking at her makes me want to get one (mabye when I get more room)

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
My sister had one. You gently cup it from underneath. Their quills lay smooth when they are content. The quills stand up when they tuck their head under their bellies in defense. They also spit foam on their backs when they taste something that they do not like. By boyfriend still cracks up over it. He (the hedgehog) was adorable.

Lydia

Cavy Slave
My husband and I have 4 hedgehogs and they're a bundle of fun.... and work! They can make great companions, but have a lot of special needs and issues which people don't always think about (just like gp's have their own quirks) so they really should only be for those who are willing to invest the time, energy and resources ($$$) into their care. For example, hedgies need a very specific diet of NOT "hedgehog food"... most hedgie foods sold in pet stores are actually really bad for them; most experts will recommend a blend of very high end cat foods with high protein, low fat and low fibre since they're naturally insectivores! Plus, they aren't rodents, so they need to run, but only on flat surfaced wheels since they're liitle paws can't grip a metal rung, and they tend to poo and pee all over their wheels while running whcih means regularly scrubbing poopy wheels and giving regular footbaths.. and they're VERY susceptible to mite infestations which are a pain in the butt for the hedgie and the owner.... >( so they're not low maintenance in that sense, but they are soooo cute and fun to watch and interact with. I just think people should learn as much as possible and be very prepared before jumping in! Here's a picture of one of our little guys; Luke. He had severe pneumonia when he was little and pretty much always has mites regardless of how hard we try to treat and prevent them, due to his compromised immune system... this weekend was $370.00 at the vet... love the little bugger but dang!!! :eek:hmy: Anyways... here he is:

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
I LOVE my hedgie! They are a lot of money (£100+) but well worth it. He is so entertaining and sweet. The only time the spines hurt me is when he stands them on end; when they are down flat it doesn't hurt at all! He has them on end when I wake him up and he's in a mood.
Here is my little guy, Oscar.
100_7536.jpg

Lydia

Cavy Slave
Myspoiltpiggies said:
Here is my little guy, Oscar.
100_7536.jpg

Now dang... he's cute!!!! :D Such a little guy too - how old is he?

L

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Wow, I had no idea hedgies require so much care. Just goes to show that you should always do your research before you get an animal.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.