Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Seafood?

Eolith

Cavy Slave
What do you guys think about eating seafood? Good, bad? I was considering cutting red meats out of my diet, but I love my seafood...

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
Congratulations on cutting red meat out of you diet!

Seafood: Its a matter of choice. Personally speaking I do not eat any meat including seafood.

The reason why I choose not to eat seafood is this Australian study that concludes that fish feel pain, terror and fear when they are being hunted down and caught. They also have a similar nervous system to mammals and birds and have very sensitive mouths. When people fish metal hooks tear their mouths, resulting in pain.

Research has shown that fish can feel pain. According to Dr. Donald Bloom, animal welfare advisor to the British government, “Anatomically, physiologically, and biologically, the pain system in fish is virtually the same as in birds and mammals.” Fish have fully developed brains and nervous systems and very sensitive mouths. Fish use their tongues and mouths like humans use their hands—to catch or gather food, build nests, and hide their offspring from danger. Fish also experience fear. An Australian study found that when fish are chased, confined, or otherwise threatened, they react with increased heart and breathing rates and a burst of adrenaline, just as humans do.

It is this reason why I dont eat seafood. I dont want to cause harm to any animal for my benefit. It is up to you though. I know it can be hard and the cravings will come. I had cravings for meat for ages but eventually you forget what it tastes like, and then you dont miss it at all.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
But if anyone wants a taste of the sea, there is always the option of sea vegitation. As gross as seaweed sounds, at least in the forms I buy it (nori sheets, wakame, kombu) it is quite yummy.

Whenever I have a sea food craving I have some cucumber or other veg sushi. Or you can track down some Tuno, a fish substitute. I've also seen other veg seafood replacements as well.

Eolith

Cavy Slave
I love seaweed. ;)

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I saw a little girl eating a plain sheet of nori behind the counter at the dollar store the other day. Gave me the munchies. :p

Chloë-Jasmine

Cavy Slave
I've never had sea weed before... is there anything you can compare it to?

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
I am a vegetarian so I don't eat seafood but I used to like salmon so I guess it is just up to you.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
If you've had sushi, you've had seaweed.

I'm not sure how to describe it. Faintly salty, kinda crunchy. To be honest I usually eat it with rice, so it's usually the combo of rice and nori I remember. I just know that somehow it calms my urge for most seafood.

Though I really miss Long John Silver's fish. But that's the batter I miss. :p And we don't even have a Long John Silver's in Canada anyway so I am safe from my cravings I guess.

Eolith

Cavy Slave
I think it's slightly nutty... kind of hard to explain.

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
I cant eat seaweed. The first time I tried it I spat it out straight away. My korean friends at the time laughed lol.

Its very salty, and its green in thin papery slices. You could try it, it might taste better then Australian packaged seaweed.

Inrun

Cavy Slave
The stuff on sushi, isn't seaweed, it's algae.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I think it depends on the brand of nori. My packs list seaweed as the only ingredient. I think it depends on where they were made. The brand available around here was made in California.

Now I am craving onigiri (rice balls) and I do have a freezer full of nori. I havn't made them since I went veg since I haven't gotten around to looking up a veg filling (I used to use tuna and salmon.)

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I don't eat seafood. I turned down my favorite stir fry sauce because it had oyster extract in it.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
It's hard not eating seafood sometimes. Japanese food is my comfort food since it typically isn't drenched in grease like Western style food, but is somehow even yummier and more filling. I love Japanese food, but I'm having a hard time changing some of the recipies to vegetarian ones. Seafood is very prevalent in Japanese food. Luckily there is usually a veg section on the menu of most sushi restaurants I go to.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I've never eaten much seafood, just cod. It took longer for me to give fish up though because after giving up meat it fealt like that was all I had. But, I've been a good 7-8 months since I last ate it. To me seafood is the same as meat. I think I'll just stick to my Indian food :)

bromers

Cavy Slave
I HATE seafood its so squishy and slimy and gross. Fish is like meat to me I didnt find it hard to cut out but maybe that because even looking at fish makes me want to puke.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Personally, since my mom used to feed our cats that tuna from a can when I was a kid, I've always associated sea food with cat food. I've never eaten any in my whole life, unless I did before I was old enough to remember. Ick.

Chloë-Jasmine

Cavy Slave
Ooh, I've had sushi before. But can't remember how it tasted because my grandma was like 'Try it with that green stuff'. Well, it was wasabi and it was SO hot. All I can remember was drinking about 2 litres of water after. We have a 'Bento Box' and it's really good, it's kind of like Japenese fast food. I think it's so good. We also have a 'Kabuki House' but that's like super expensive. I loooove sea food. Me and Shane are Newfies so I guess it's natural. I love any kind of sea food. Escagot, calamari, lobster, shrimp. Oyster and sardines are good too. We discovered Tuna Helper, which is Hamburger Helper but with a white sauce and Tuna. It's really cheap to make and one box does me and him for one meal. Which is good because we spend more money then we should on the piggies.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I still eat Tuna Helper. I just don't put tuna in it. I use tofu instead. :)

Though, vegetarians have to be careful with Tuna/Chicken/Hamburger Helper. Some flavours have chicken and beef fat, some don't. I just read the label everytime I pick some up.

As for sushi, I wouldn't recommend the pink garnish either. It's an aquired taste.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.