Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK Where to get carefresh

muffin

Cavy Slave
Hi, does anyone know where you can get carefresh in big bags, or even better in bulk wholesale?

Thanks.

Cavie Cove

Cavy Slave
I don't think you can get it in big bags unfortunatly. I believe that you can get something called magazorb(sp?) that is simlar to carefresh and that some stables sell it. But I am prepared to be quoted wrong on that.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
CC is right. You can only get small bags of Carefresh over here. You can get Megazorb in horse feed stores.

I_<3_cavies

Cavy Slave
I dont live in the UK but you can go to a local petstore probably.

bromers

Cavy Slave
I have never found carefresh at a petshop yet to be honest. I might be blind.

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
Megazorb, is it any good? I get carefresh at the moment and it is SOOO expensive!

basicskill

Cavy Slave
I havent tried it, but there is lots of enthusiasm for this product. I am going to try it as I am getting rather brain pickled with all the hoo ha about shavings, carefresh, fleece etc. I will be getting a couple of rescue pigs in August, I am trudging through all the websites looking for info so I am fully prepared. I'm going to try megazorb, for that price I am not going to complain. I noticed my local tesco sell carefresh but the bags are titchy and also wood pellets.If you are filling a cavy cage it must cost you a fortune. I'd try it, and if its not brilliant use it with care fresh (sparingly).

jabberwock

Cavy Slave
I've asked at all the local pet stores that don't sell animals and all of them say that Carefresh only comes in the small , £2.99, bags. I use Megazorb which costs £5.60 for a very large bag from the horse feed place that's even more local. I have to order it a week in advance - I only use Carefresh if I run out of bedding. Megazorb is fine - the particle size is a little smaller than Carefresh and it's lighter in colour.

On a related(ish) note - does anyone know if you can get kiln dried pine shavings anywhere? All the pet shops stock shavings, but when I ask if they're kiln dried they look at me as though I've just come down from Mars. They quite clearly have no idea what I'm talking about... (Mostly I can tell by sniffing that the shavings clearly haven't been kiln dried, but I' m sure they must be around if only I can find them....)

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
I only use carefresh in the litter trays, but I have four litter rays so I am basically filling a 2x4 cage twice a week with carefresh. I'm going to try megazorb next!

I don't think you can get kiln dried Pine in the UK, that is why I avoid all woodshavings here. They are either Pine or cedar.

AliceTittle

Cavy Slave
I use megazorb, and find it a fairly good alternative to carefresh. I took some photgrpahs for a friend of mine who wanted to see what it was like.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/ali-louise/P1010050.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/ali-louise/P1010049.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/ali-louise/P1010051.jpg

On the last picture, the bag is infront of a fridge, to try and show the scale.

The only issue I had was that it did smell strongly of farm, or something ismilar. But it was ok, that covered the smell of any urine!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.