Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ferrets C&C for ferrets?

Cavie Cove

Cavy Slave
I have had to separate one of my ferrets this afternoon and hes in a 1 level cage at the moment but I would like to make him a 2 or 3 teir cage, but was woundering how do I go about making a C&C cage for a ferret?
The cage would be able to have a base of 2 foot by 3 foot bout would be able to be about 4 foot tall.
So any ideas are apreciated.
Thanks Kirsty
p.s would these cubes be ok?(broken link removed)
https://guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13606

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
You need to make sure that your ferret can't fit it's head through the openings in the cube. Some ferrets can. Otherwise you need to use mesh cubes if you can find them.

A good idea is to NOT use the connectors and use zip ties instead. You could make one level storage, then three more cubes high. A 2x3 or 2x4 would be sufficient for grid size.

Plummie

Cavy Slave
Those cubes won't work because your ferret will squeeze its head through the openings. You can find the mesh cubes at Linens 'n Things, however I don't know if you have that chain in the U.K.

Another option would be to cover it in hardcloth wire, but that is a lot of work and by that time, you'd be better off just buying a new cage.

sweetspice221

Cavy Slave
I love ferrets!

ginger_fish

Cavy Slave
I used cubes exactly the same size, just go out and buy plastic chicken wire as they do not chew on them and cover the spots that he can poke his head out of. also the connectors are safe to use, my guy never tries to chew on them at all.

tranum

Cavy Slave
ginger_fish said:
I used cubes exactly the same size, just go out and buy plastic chicken wire as they do not chew on them and cover the spots that he can poke his head out of. also the connectors are safe to use, my guy never tries to chew on them at all.

Hey gingerfish, I know you from my the other forum chatferrets.com. I just had to ask you a quick question. I am going to build Daisy's cage, what did or do you use for a door(s). I want to make Daisy's cage about three or four levels, if not more and I was just wondering how to put in doors. I would like at least one on every floor. You can either respond in this forum or email me at [email protected] (i prefer email).

Crazy 4 Cavies

Cavy Slave
You really need these sort of cubes for ferrets :
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SILVER-METALLIC-MESH-STORAGE-CUBES_W0QQitemZ4465312556QQcategoryZ79638QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sorry it was me who has just bought them though! (laugh out loud)
You can get them in a shop called ''Home and Bargins'' here in the UK.

sandcastle1997

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Trust me ferrets can and will get out of spaces only 1 inch in size. I bought our 2 a new cage and Tink squeezed through a 1 inch space. I used the exact same wire ginger used. Our home depot carries it and it was called construction cloth here. I used the nylon zip cords and it's worked just fine. No more escaped ferret. If you have larger ferrets or a male you may be ok, but it's better to be safe then sorry. I was lucky that when Tink crawled out she came up the stairs and right to my husband and it. It could have been a lot worse.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.