Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bunny for adoption, to get or not to get...

QueenAgness

Cavy Slave
A local petshop has a few buns for adoption and I am planning to get one this spring. They are free to good home and there is this one there that I am in love with. She is a orangy-brown dwarf mix. She has been in the store for about four months and she just can't seem to keep a home. The employee I spoke to about her said that she was surrendered a few months ago, has had several litters, and is a total and complete witch. Of course those were not her exact words, she tried to sugar coat the situation, but the fact is that she bites, kicks, and has a serious attitude. I feel just aweful for her, it is not her fault she is this way, she was not born like this, someone didn't take care of her. The employee said that she will most likely be going to a shelter, be euthanized, or spend the rest of her life in the store, as she has been adopted several times and keeps being returned for being aggressive.

I can just see her in a nice, comfy, and big CC cage in my room. I think if I found a good spot for her, my dad would be okay with her staying inside. I know that I probably wouldn't be able to hold her and cuddle her, but that is alright she still deserves a good home where she is loved.

This is where my question comes in. Seeing as I have never owned a rabbit before, I don't have a clue as to whether this is a good idea. I don't know if I could handle her, but I do know that if I adopted her I would never take her back to the store. So do you guys think I could tame the beast and this would all work out, or should I wait a get another rabbit up for adoption in the store. Of course I couldn't bring Buttercup, thats her name, home until spring, but if she hasn't been adopted yet I'm almost postive she will still be there when I'm ready. Thanks, I know this was long, but I really don't want to rush into anything.

~SAM~

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
I have to say first of all that I have owned very aggressive rabbits in the passed. They never really became very tame but they were managable. I mthink it is great that you have the heart to help a rabbit even if she is not very tame. Maybe with the right care she will learn to trust you and become tame. Since rabbits are kind of timid she is probably still scared that all humans will treat here the way that her owners used to treat her.
If it was me and I knew that I could take proper care of her I would adopt her and give her another chance at life.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
This rabbit probably does have issues, but I think the "issues" could be greatly improved if she was spayed. Spaying not only improves the health of female rabbits (prevents reproductive cancers, diseases, etc..), but also improves behavior. Spaying could definitely help reduce her aggression.

Even with spaying, I think this is a rabbit you will have to go slowly with. Being abandoned several times certainly did not help her trust people.

I don't know what the circumstances were when she bit/became aggressive, but quite a few female rabbits are VERY possessive of their cages and they do not like anyone to mess with it. If this is the case, you can simply let her out of the cage before cleaning it or replenishing food. Many of these more "aggressive" rabbits also do not like to have things waved in front of their faces and will box with their front feet or even bite. These two situations are easy to avoid and avoiding them will probably lessen her aggressive tendencies.

www.rabbit.org has some great articles on rabbit behavior that could help.

If you think you will adopt her, I would say something to the store so they don't have her euthanized

QueenAgness

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the input,
I'll be going back to the store on Tuesday and will discuss the matter with my parents some time between now and then. If they agree that her best chance is with me I will talk to the store owner about Butercup. Yes, I do plan on spaying her once I get her, if I get her. Does anyone know what the average spay costs? Being that she does not like people and is housed in a separate cage, it would most likely be very difficult to give her a companion. So I guess she would be a bit lonely. Do aggressive rabbits even enjoy company? If and when I get her I would love to be able to carry her downstairs and let her run around the house, but I don't know if she would be scared. I guess it depends on the individual bun.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
Spaying can be expensive and it must be done by a veterinarian experienced with rabbits. I would contact local rabbit rescues or shelters to see if they can reccomend a vet. Some humane societies and SPCA's have low cost spay/neuter clinics and might be able to fix rabbits. If you have a House Rabbit Society chapter near you, they sometimes have spay/neuter vouchers to help with the cost.

When and if you get her, I would just concentrate on bonding with her and earning her trust before you consider getting her a rabbit companion. Most rabbits do enjoy having a companion but they can be extremely picky about who they get along with.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.