Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New cage! New owner! New Member!

gazmorton2000

Cavy Slave
Just been and bought more cubes. I now have a 2 x 5 with a ramp up to a 2 x 1 and a 2 x 1 extension downstairs where the food and water bottles are. It is all lined with fleece on corex (coroplast) except the food bit which is lined in towels. I have 3 pigs at the moment and I think the size is ok for them and they get let out regular. Is it ok to have no coroplast in the 2x1 bit as there are no sides?

Looks fine but just thought I'd check.

One happy new pig owner.

P.s. Our local rescue has a couple of pigs needing good homes, :sad: I am really tempted but I think I am on the limits of the cage :?: and there may be babies on the way too. :) :eye-poppi

Giplet

Cavy Slave
First of all, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Ok, down to business...

Do you have anything underneath the fleece? Fleece is not absorbent on it's own. You need to have a few absorbent layers underneath it, like towels or newspaper or puppy pads. What the fleece does is it wicks the urine down to the absorbent laryers, keeping it nice and dry on top.

I use 3 layers of thick towels and one layer of fleece. You need to experiment and find out what works for you and your girls. You have a boy as well don't you, who's getting neutered? Where is his bit of the cage gonna be whilst he recovers?

About the local rescue, do you have room to make the cage bigger? I think your cage is only just big enough for the amount of pigs you have now. It would be great if you could give these other pigs a home, but you would definetly need to extend.

Also, what about when the baby pigs come along? If you intend to keep them, you absolutely need to make the cage bigger. It's not fair, you have a genuine reason to make a giant pig palace, I don't so I'm not allowed to turn the spare room into a piggy room.

Good luck with everything, it seems that you have a lot to think about. :bitelip:

Marlania

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the group. Keep in mind that IF you do have babies they can mate at age 3 weeks? Right folks? So separate before you have anymore.

gazmorton2000

Cavy Slave
Yep already thoguht about separating. I now have some more cubes but will need some more correx then I can extend but it is ok for now for the pigs I have. I have already planned ab out separating babies but unfortunately the ones at the rescue will have to stay where they are for now! :sad:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.