Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Help

CavyGuy90

Cavy Slave
my mom just went to the pet store and got pin bedding "premier pet" and it said it could be used for guinea pigs so i opened it when i was changing his cage and it had a strong smell. I put him in and he and he smelled the bedding, then ate a little of it. He has done this a few times. Is pine going to affect my guinea pig or not? I know cedar is bad but im not sure if I should keep using it or not.

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Merrill

Cavy Slave
You should stop using it ASAP.

If it smells strong to you, then it will have an even stronger smell for your pigs as their noses are much more sensitive.
Stuff like that may say it's for guinea pigs, but it's just to sell it. Just like how wheels and balls say they are for guinea pigs, but they're not good for them at all.

Treen

Cavy Slave
Pine is fine as long as it doesn't smell 'piney'. If you get some and it has a noticeable odour, simply air away from the guinea pigs it until the odour goes away. It's inhaling that which is thought to be dangerous for them.

morrigan

Cavy Slave
Now I'm sure that I'm using the safe type of pine shavings.

As long as the pine shavings is kiln-dried, it's safe

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

aimeeinohio

Cavy Slave
bedding

cavylover said:
I Read about this new kind of bedding called MEGAZORB.Apparently its only available in the Uk but omg i would so pay the shipping just to try it out if anyone would buy me a bag and ill buy it over paypal or something id really appreciate it.More absorbant then Carefresh they say
Snce your mom is buying supplies, I can betcha she won't want to buy carefresh (I don't like it as I have found it to be dusty anyhow!!). and wood beddings arent great- use newspaper! RECYCLE! LOL I line our cage with one full sunday paper and the kids shred newspaper for the bedding. The pigs like it, it's easy to keep clean, and it's practically FREE. If you guys don;t buy newspapers, just ask others to save them for ya!
Aimee & The Boyz

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.