Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

a question about diet

cavypaulita

Cavy Slave
Hi,

Someone asked me a question about piggy care and I've been trying to look and I want to convince this person and Idon't know how. Her language is Spanish and she doesn't know English.

She asked me *why* seeds are bad for piggies. What can I tell her? I've told her that pellets should be plain pellets, but she says it's the first time she hears seeds are not good. I want to convince her. She gives her piggy a good diet ,lots of veggies, a varied diet, she just tells me that she has never read anywhere that seeds are bad. She also asked me if it's true that lettuce should be basic in a piggy diet (I told her so) and she said she has never read that either, and that she gives her piggy lettuce but not daily because it gives him diarrhea. She also asked me about carrots. I've read here that they are good in moderation, baby carrots, daily. That's correct, isn't it?
She read in a website (I've just read it too) (in spanish) the following information:
"Lettuce is not adviced. It has little fiber, a lot of water, little calcium and a lot of phosphorus (spelling?). It'snot good, it delays the digestion and it can cause a problem in the intestine, and a loss of calcium in their bones because of the lack of balance between calcium/phosphorus. As a treat, it is Ok. As a basic element in the diet, is not good".

Thank you, I want to give her a good answer so she is truly convinced about it and stops doubting.

Thank you
pauli

Last edited:

xguineapigrulez

Cavy Slave
Big seeds with shells can choke Guinea Pigs, and seeds provide too much calcium for the piggies. Seeds are unhealthy for them. Once my cousin fed a sunflower seed to my piggie and she nearly choked. I was lucky I went in the room so I pulled the shell out.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Actually, it isn't the calcium in seeds that is the major problem. They are highly fattening, and as XGPR pointed out, they can cause choking, or the seeds might get stuck on piggy teeth. For the carrots, 1 baby carrot or equivalent daily is fine. If the lettuce is giving her piggy diarrhea, either something else is wrong with her pig, or she is feeding iceberg or lots of other very watery veggies.

cavypaulita

Cavy Slave
I see,
thank you so much.

There is so much information that is confusing in Spanish. In nearly all sites it says that lettuce is not good daily...

I give lettuce to Coqui and Pilu every day and they are great. I will tell this person.

Thank you.
Pauli

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.