Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Guinea pig diet. Pineapples??

popcorn_kirby

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs get all the hay, pellets and water but I was wondering about veggies and fruits specifically.

Normally my guinea pigs will usually have romanian lettuce or pineapple as their fruit/veggie.
Sometimes an apple, carrot, strawberry but mainly it is those.

I think pineapple has vitamin C (?) in it so I like to feed them it but I eat pineapple too and if I eat too much it corrodes my mouth and it's painful. So I'm hoping it doesn't happen to them. But I usually eat like the whole pineapple. I like pineapples.

Also I can't feed them oranges because I keep eating them all!! :eek:hmy:
JK, I'll share with them......... maybe.

So, in summation, how much pineapples can guinea pigs eat if at all?
And should I feed them some different vegetables or what.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
And should I feed them some different vegetables or what.
Yes, a large variety. Romaine lettuce and pineapple isn't a good diet for your pigs. They need a lot of different veggies. See www.guinealynx.info/diet.html for good veggies to feed.

Pineapple can be fed in small amounts twice per week just as all fruits should be fed.

Macayle
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

popcorn_kirby

Cavy Slave
The only reason I feed them pineapples is because I eat them but I don't eat the parts with the spiky things.
I thought you guys were like 'environmentalists or hippies' or something so ... I'd be throwing out the pineapples if they didn't eat them.

And I said I fed them other stuff. ARGH!! It was clear too.

Anyways, try to be clearer; my guinea pigs always love the pineapple but I will eat pineapple so much and keep eating it even though my mouth is sore .. it's so acidy and I hope they aren't getting corrosion of mouth like me.

So are guinea pigs like humans where they get sore mouths from acidy fruit?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Most definitely. Pigs can absolutely get mouth sores, so it's best to keep acidy fruits and veggies to a minimum.

Sweet Pea

Cavy Slave
One of my pigs only eats pineapple maybe once every couple of weeks. Other than that their everyday stuff is Romaine lettuce,red pepper,1 od these three cilantro,dill,parsley a piece of melon and one other fruit I change it every day. Also they get celery or cucumber and 1 baby carrot a day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.