Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I just lost one of my pigs and need advice

SoftTouch

Cavy Slave
Hi, I'm new to the forum

I just lost one of my girls yesterday. I've had Jazzy and Spazzy for over 2 and a half years (they were sisters). I think they're about 3 years old. I don't know why Spazzy passed away (she seemed fine the day before?), but I'm concerned about Jazz. I know that Piggies are social animals (Jazzy is very shy and skiddish... Spaz was the alpha piggie - although she was skiddish too), so I'm not sure rather or not I should try to get Jazz a new roomie or not? If I do, should I give Jazz a little time to get used to Spaz not being there?

I don't usually go for female animals as it's been my experience that they bite more then males, but I'd have to get another female... at least the cage has a second level and I do have two igloos. Any suggestions?

JennG

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss. Had she been losing weight, not eating, sneezing, anything? It may be important to get Jazzy a check up at your vet to make sure she's not ill either.

As you probably know, piggies are herd animals. I would consider getting her a new roomie. If you are leaning towards a male, you can always consider a neutered boar. I personally feel that it's the piggies' personality not the gender that will dictate their aggression, cuddleness, etc..

Good luck and I hope everything goes well.

CuTe*LIL*CaVy
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

SoftTouch

Cavy Slave
Awwww Sandi, Thank You! I Felt your words!❤️

As for loosing weight or any other signs of illness, there were none. She was completely healthy. I'm wondering if she might have choked one something. There were no signs of illness at all. I've been caring for pigs off and on for many years, but I'd never had two that had been together since birth.

Jazz 'seems' ok. She does seem a little lost, but she's eating and 'yelling' for her piggie salad LOL! So that's a good sign (I think). I did hear her 'grunting' earlier... What is that? I've never heard a pig do that before.

I also have a male dutch rabbit (Bun-Bun) who has run of the room her cage is in. I'm hoping he'll spend a little more time with her. I've been sitting on the little couch next to her cage and he's been jumping up in my lap and going over to her, but I know, that's not the same as having another piggy ;)

I'm close to Washington, D.C. and we're expecting a significant snow in the a.m. so I don't think I'll be able to investigate getting a new roomie for her this weekend. Other then the animal shelter, I don't know where to get one except for petsmart or somewhere like that, but I've read some thread titles here that suggest not going the pet store route. I've gotta do some thinking (and Praying! 👼 ) and I really appreciate the advice and empathy here!

I'll be back! :)

JennG

Cavy Slave
You can always check out www.petfinder.com or (broken link removed) or www.craigslist.org . Or do a quick search under cavy rescues and you can see if there are any in your state. Please try these avenues first. We strongly recommend to rescue and not to buy. You never know what condition the store bought piggie is in. Good luck with your search. I wouldn't rush but take your time. You'll want to quarantine your new piggie before introducing her to Jazz.

SoftTouch

Cavy Slave
JennG, Thank You for your excellent advice! I know Jazz needs the companionship of another piggy, so I checked out a nearby Cavey Rescue to see if I could find a good piggy friend for my girl Jazzy. I found the most adorable neutered male (ok, so he's a little younger then her... she's 3 and he's a little over a year old, but hey... get 'em young and raise them to suit ya, right? ;D). He's very close to Spazzy's colors so I'm wonder if that might help Jazz a bit too? Look at this little guy, he's adorable!

I wish I had a pic of Jazzy to share, but my digital camera drive me nuts and I can't figure it all out LOL!

I put an application in on him yesterday and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I'll keep ya posted :)

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
He really is precious. And how lucky for you that he is already neutered. I hope your application is approved, and you are able to get Jazzy a boyfriend.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Do you have any tape? Because he looks ripped. Sorry I just think he looks very manly.

SoftTouch

Cavy Slave
Percy's Mom said:
He really is precious. And how lucky for you that he is already neutered. I hope your application is approved, and you are able to get Jazzy a boyfriend.

Awww, thank you Percy's Mom! I really hope so too! I know I've only seen a piccy of him, but he's adorable! and his description is wonderful too. I hope he'll put a little 'spring' in my girls Popcorns :D And what better week to get Jazz a boyfriend then Valentines? ❤️

Babygirl1234... That was Hysterical!!!! A Ripped Boar LOL!!!! Now how could Jazz possibly resist that Manly boy? ;)

JennG

Cavy Slave
babygrl how funny! He does look very manly in a very cute, piggie way. I really hope you're approved and he gets himself a sweet girlfriend. I'm also glad to hear that he's already neutered. Good luck.

PS You're also right about getting them young and raising them how you want them to be. TeeHee! She may like having a younger stud around.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I learned the hard way about quarintine. When my boar Legelas lost his cage mates he cried and cried for them. It broke our hearts to hear him crying for his friends. My daughter went right to the animal shelter to see if they had any GP's. She came home with a 4 wk old baby boar, we named Peppi. I put him right in with Legelas. Legelas was in love and was so happy. What we didn't know was Peppi had lice. I cost me over 100.00 dollars for the vets visit and the meds.
The new guy is just beautiful! I so hope you get him. I hope Jazzy falls head over heals in love.

SoftTouch

Cavy Slave
I was reading through all the info on this site and realized that the cage I have is not big enough, so I found a really Great 28"X56" C&C type on Ebay (with a top... gotta keep the rabbit out). Hubby just ordered it for me :) Even if I'm not approved for "Medwin" (what a name! LOL!) I'll be getting her a new roomie somehow. Although I can't imagine why the application wouldn't be approved :)

SoftTouch

Cavy Slave
Update...

Well, Medwin was adopted out this morning but they asked if I'd be interested in Jacoby. He's a cutie too. We'll see how this one goes :)

Oh Yeah... Thank the Lord, Jacoby is neutered too! and also only a year and a month old... so Jazz can still raise him to suit her LOL :cheerful:

Last edited:

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
He's also a super cutie, congrats!

JennG

Cavy Slave
Is there such a thing as an ugly piggie? I think not. He's just as handsome. And it's great that he is neutered too. Go for it. I'm glad you're investing in a bigger cage. I've been told that boars need more room but I'm not sure if that goes for a female/male pairing or if its just for male/male pairing.

SoftTouch

Cavy Slave
Thanks :) I don't have him yet... I'm waiting to hear back from the rescue :)

I definitely had to get a bigger cage. I had no idea that the one I had (29"X18" - even though I had a second level in it) was not big enough for two pigs (or even one, from the specs I read in the other section here).

This is such an Excellent site! I very much appreciate all the hard work the owners and moderators of this website do! I've been living with piggies (off and on) since 1976 and still there is so much to learn! (I'm also Greatful for an understanding Hubby who indulges my Love of animals LOL!)

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
He is such a cutie too. The picture is not as macho but I still love it!

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Be careful though, this site is SO addicting. Just when you think you know it all, they blast you with more learnage.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Is learnage a word? I think it is now!

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Yes, I said learnage! :p

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.