Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing Myself And My Piggers!

QueenAgness

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!
My name is Samantha, I live in Monmouth County, New Jersey. I just joined the forums a few days ago and finally decided to introduce myself and my piggies. I have six of them, three girls and three boys. I also belong to another forum called Caviesgalore, some of you may know me there as BanditBoy. I'll try and post some pictures ASAP!
Thanks for reading,
Sam

Chloë-Jasmine

Cavy Slave
Welcome to Cavy Cages! I hope you learn something new and meet some new cavy slaves. And yes. Hurry on up with the pigtures, you may get tarred and feathered if you're too slow. I learned the hard way. Just kidding! But we do harass a lot for pics!

QueenAgness

Cavy Slave

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
The babies are absolutely adorable! Make sure you get them seperated from Mom and aunties though. They're right at the age when they can start getting the girls pregnant. Has Pablo been neutered? I noticed that you have him in a picture with Harriet. That can be extremely dangerous if one or the other is not fixed. It only takes a moment for a piggy to get pregnant.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
They are all so sweet. Welcome to the group. Yes to separation asap.

QueenAgness

Cavy Slave
I apologize, I should have mentioned this in my first post. Pablo, Harriet, and Agness & the babies are all in separate cages. The picture with Harry and Pabs was during floor time. Since I have no other males, except for the babies who are to young, Pablo gets lonely and he shares floor time with Harriet, who is terrified of Agness and also gets lonely. This way everyone is happy. Floor time is alway supervised and times when Harriet is in estrus they have separate floor times.

As for the babies being weaned, I am leaving that up to Agness. It is very beneficial to the babies to will be a lot healthier if they stay with mom as long as possible. They will grow up bigger, stronger and healthier. Also they cannot actually impregnate their mother and sister until about two months old. But that will not be a problem as they will be moving out in two days anyway.

Another thing, Harriet has a bit of a deformity in her back legs. She was a rescue from a petsmart. I go there all the time to check out the condition of the pigs and buy supplies. The employ in charge of animals knows me and asked me to take her no charge. So I did, she is perfectly healthy except for her legs and obesity, due to the fact that she cannot run. Does anyone else have a pig like this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
~Sam~

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
QueenAgness said:
Also they cannot actually impregnate their mother and sister until about two months old. But that will not be a problem as they will be moving out in two days anyway.
Actually, they can, and will try to impregnate their mother and sisters starting when they are 3 weeks old.

JennG

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum but...

Actually Percy's Mom is right and that the baby boars can and will impregnate their mom, sister, and auntie. Also you really shouldn't be putting the female and male together on floor time. I've learned from the forum that it only takes a split second for an accident to happen. The baby boars will be just fine putting them in with daddy.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum, the piggies are adorable.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Ditto. You need to separate the baby boys at 3 weeks old. They are eating solid foods already and will do fine with Dad.

And it isn't really safe to let unaltered boars and sows "play" together. It only takes a second for them to mate, with your back turned.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Welcome! You have beautiful piggies.

pink_cottonball

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Those are adorable pigtures!

QueenAgness

Cavy Slave
Thanks to all those who complimented my pigs. Being that I just joined the forums I am doing my best to accept everyone's advice and consider it. So while I do appreciate it, I also disagree with some of it.
When Agness got pregnant I spoke with several guinea pig breeders and they gave me very useful information. I agreed when I was told that males shouldn't be separated from mom at three weeks. Also the babies are a bit on the small size, probably because there were three of them and Agness is a fairly tiny pig herself. So it is good for them to stay with mom a bit longer. I also disagree that the baby boys can get their mother and sister pregnant simply because they do not try. They do rumblestrut quite a bit, I understand that that is a mating call. If they were atempting to mount the females I would remove them immediately, but that is not the case.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Just because they do not try to mount today does not mean they will not try tomorrow. I got my first boy at less than 4 weeks old and he was fine without Mom. If you read around on the site here and at www.guinealynx.com you will see stories of people whose 3 week old boars impregnated mom and sisters. If you want to take that chance just be prepared for the consequences. If you wait until they mount their mom it might be too late.

Hansel

Cavy Slave
Unless you are watching them 24/7 you do not know if they are mounting each other or not!

Most guinea pig breeders lack in a lot of common knowledge. Just because they are a "breeder" doesnt tend to mean much around here.

Why do you think so many people come home from the petstore with a young sow thats already pregnant? Its because they dont sex the pigs correctly and keep them together too long.

This forum have VERY knowledgable people running it, and I would suggest you take the advice given unless you want to risk your pigs lives by letting them get pregnant. There is no problem seperating the pigs at three weeks. There is however a HUGE risk that if you dont, one or more of your girls will end up pregnant.

If you dont believe what you are being told here, take a look at www.guinealynx.com They are a leading site on current guinea information with very experianced people that post.

Again, I stress to you to seperate them. There is already a HUGE number of pigs that get dumped at shelters and have to be euthinized. We dont need to add to that problem.

Hansel

Cavy Slave
Sorry for double posting the guinealynx Babygrl!

Herbie Girl

Cavy Slave
Welcome!! Your piggies are adorable.

Becky

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Just like I don't recommend listening to anything the pet stores' employees or owners tell you, I don't recommend listening to anything a breeder tells you. The conditions of their stock tend to be poor and less than our standards of care.

bbqbarbiedolls

Cavy Slave
QueenAgness said:
The picture with Harry and Pabs was during floor time. Since I have no other males, except for the babies who are to young, Pablo gets lonely and he shares floor time with Harriet, who is terrified of Agness and also gets lonely.
Maybe you could get Pablo neutered and then Harry and Pablo can live together without any little accidents. Although I must say, the babies are adorable.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.