PDA

View Full Version : cedar?

CavyGuy90
04-07-04, 08:47 pm
I was wondering what was wrong with pine cedar, because thats what i used for about a year and then I heard that it was(I never noticed a problem)bad so I switched recycled-biodigradable stuff. I like it but it is about 3 times more excpensive than cedar. Can I switch back to cedar or not?

mom to cujo
04-08-04, 05:21 am
The aromatic oils in cedar are bad for your piggies respiratory system.

cavylover
04-08-04, 06:03 am
ive used cedar my whole life when owning rodents well its not just cedar its Red Cedar.and there isnt a smell to his one its wettened and dried out.When i came on this board i started smelling the cedar beggin to see if there was even the faintest smell.But nope not even a scent sticking my nose in the bag.Usually you'll smell like a very woody smellbut not even that.So im happy with that.Also if their were respritory problems id hear my piggys coughing n sneezing alot.

mom to cujo
04-08-04, 08:06 am
If you check with anyone that is educated about guinea pigs or any of the sites with accurate information you would see that they highly recommend not using cedar.

Merrill
04-08-04, 06:07 pm
ive used cedar my whole life when owning rodents well its not just cedar its Red Cedar.and there isnt a smell to his one its wettened and dried out.When i came on this board i started smelling the cedar beggin to see if there was even the faintest smell.But nope not even a scent sticking my nose in the bag.Usually you'll smell like a very woody smellbut not even that.So im happy with that.Also if their were respritory problems id hear my piggys coughing n sneezing alot.
It's great that you haven't found any respiratory problems, but guinea pig noses are a lot more sensitive than human noses. They rely on their noses almost just as we rely on our eyes.

cavylover
04-08-04, 08:02 pm
i know.:) Yay the Sens won and my piggys watched every second hehe

CavyGuy90
04-08-04, 09:45 pm
ya i hear it is bad but i used it with no problems, no sneezing nothing so im not sure if I should stop or not. If I noticed a clear problem with my guinea pig I would stop right away, but I dont thats why im in a delema.

mom to cujo
04-09-04, 07:07 am
I find that it is cumulative: meaning that over time it will cause damage. Unfortunately, even though I had stopped using it within a year or two of getting my first piggie, I noticed a wheeze as he got older that never went away and I am sure it was from the cedar. Why not just use something else. We use aspen now and have found no problem with that and it costs about the same.

cavylover
04-09-04, 08:11 am
ive owned cavys over 15 years,well about 15 years. Ive always used cedar never cedar and pine or just pine,Monthly checkups for all my pigs and no problems at all,

mom to cujo
04-09-04, 04:23 pm
Read up and educate yourself. There are experts to ask - don't rely on laymen on the subject to get the correct information.

mooser
06-07-04, 01:03 pm
Here's an article all about pine and cedar and its effects. They aren't safe to use.

http://www.ratfanclub.org/litters.html

cavylover
06-08-04, 06:30 am
Actually they are safe if their Kiln dried

mooser
06-08-04, 11:26 am
Are you talking about pine? I don't think cedar comes kiln-dried.

cavylover
06-08-04, 12:09 pm
i would never use pine only cedar and woody pet products.and Yes cedar comes kiln dried

Katie
06-10-04, 11:26 am
Please do not use Cedar. Cedar is more harmful then (most) Pine. Cedar is not just harmful to the animals, but it is also harmful to people. Cedar can cause URI in people just as it does in animals. Cedar also causes liver damage over time, which you cannot see from the outside. Did you even read the link that was posted? You are literally slowly KILLING your animals. Just because you cannot smell the Cedar does not mean they can't. Heck, it's just like dogs, they can sniff out SKIN CANCER, humans cannot.

Here are some more links for you to read. I can't believe someone who claims to love cavies can slowly kill them just to save a few bucks.

http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/guineapigs/a/woodshavings.htm

http://members.aol.com/bunrabtoo/cedar.html

mncavylover
06-11-04, 05:33 pm
Actually they are safe if their Kiln driedNO WAY is Cedar safe! Don't even THINK about putting Cedar or other aromatic beddings in your piggie cage. Please, cavies are very prone to resp. infections. Don't help your cavies get sick.