Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pucker's life. He was a hero.

munchkin

Cavy Slave
So, today started like any other day. I got up, changed the hay and water in my boys’ cage and made them their piggy salad. All the boys were fine, in fact they had all just been to the vet two weeks ago for their wellness checks and were all given a clean bill of health. Now usually, they have floor time right after breakfast, but today I had to be in court with my niece, so floor time was going to be delayed. Well, when I got back from court at about 12:45, I went to get them out. Pucker was breathing really hard. I mean his little sides were sucking in and out quite rapidly. Panic set in and I called my vet and told him I was on my way, and off we went, all three boys and myself. I thought for sure it was a URI and all the boys would need to be checked. All the usual questions were asked.

1. Have I noticed any weight loss? No, but he hasn't really gained any either.

2. When did I first notice something was wrong? He was fine this morning, even popcorned for his veggies.

3. Has he been lethargic at all? No. He was popcorning this morning.

4. What has his appetite been like? Really good.

5. What do you feed him daily? Green or red leaf lettuce, Cilantro, Red or orange pepper, then we alternate between a baby carrot or grape tomato every other day. About twice a week they may get some cucumber, Kale or fruit. They also get their hay and about 1/2 cup of pellets a day.

You get the idea. Anyway, after an extensive exam and a few X-rays it was discovered that Pucker did not have a URI but a respritory defect. I'm not real sure what exactly the defect was, I heard the Vet say there wasn't much they could do except try to make him comfortable and I guess I went numb. The bottom line is that Pucker would only get worse with time and that he probably wouldn't live out the week. I Knew what I had to do, so I gave the consent and asked if I could stay with him until it was over. It didn't take very long. And at least I knew he wouldn't suffer or struggle to breathe. After it was over, I asked the Vet what could have caused this to present so fast. He was perfectly fine this morning. He told me they could do a necropsy to determine the extent of the deformity and why it seemed to present so fast, but the bottom line was that sometimes there are no answers. I chose to leave it alone. Nothing is going to bring him back now. The whys don't really matter. I have cried for hours and I just can't seem to stop. Knowing what happened isn't going to take that away.

I guess I just had to share my story with others who would understand.

Pucker was my little hero. He saved his buddy Checker's life during a house fire several months ago. He barricaded Checker in the hidey house and blocked the opening with his rump, preventing excessive smoke from entering the house. Checker is alive today because of Pucker. He was a happy, loving little fellow and he will be greatly missed. I just wish we had known sooner. Maybe there would have been something we could have done to prevent this tragedy.

Erynn

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry I am almost in tears right now. I know how it feels to lose a pet suddenly. I had a pair of budgies that got poisoned when our fridge had to be repaired. I took all precautions I could at the time and thought I had done okay until 12 hours later at midnight when we were going to bed the male fell off his perch and started having seizers(sp) we held him for 30 minutes while he died a slow death and then took the female budgie and nestled her into a box with padding and kissed her goodbye because she was looking very lethargic. The next morning she was dead as well my only regret was not protecting them better and not staying up to hold her until the very end. I am sure he is grateful you stayed with him and will also thank you for not making him suffer until the end. It will hurt for awhile but just remember the good times you had.

snickers66

Cavy Slave
Oh my gosh.. that is so sad and so sudden. Iam sorry and sorry you have

to go through that : (

JennG

Cavy Slave
That is so sad, I have tears in my eyes. I'm so sorry for your loss. But I'm very proud that he was able to save his friend's life.

lencar44

Cavy Slave
So sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like you are an attentive parent to your boys and you did everything you could. I fine that nothing cures an aching heart like a snuggle with a pig. I hope that helps.

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
No words can take away your pain but maybe bring comfort to you and your family during this trying time. My heart and prayers go out to you, ((((hugs))).

Pucker sounded like a wonderful little fellow and im sure he will be greatly missed.

Rest in Peace Pucker...

Giplet

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry. I understand how you are feeling because about a month ago I lost my piggy Nala, just as suddenly. I cried for a few days and I spoke to Misty about her. Also, what I found helped, was to write everything down about Nala, everything I could think of about her I wrote in my diary, it took up 5 pages. A few days later I realised I hadn't been thinking about her and I felt guilty, I felt like I was forgetting, but when I looked at a picture of her, I realised that I would never forget her; just because I wasn't thinking about her all the time didn't mean I was forgetting her or that I was loving her any less.

Rest in peace Pucker, you were a hero.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss, that is really devastating. You did everything you could have possibly done for him though, and you were there for him to the very end, which is a very special thing.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss.

munchkin

Cavy Slave
First let me thank everyone for their kind words. Yes, Pucker was a true hero, and it is hard adjusting to not having him with us anymore. But it has been especially hard on Checker and Alphie. They spend a great deal of time fighting with each other, something they never did before. No real violence yet, thank goddness. Pucker was the "big daddy" of the bunch, so I'm sure it is just a dominance thing. Still it worries me a little because they never fought. Even when I first introduced Alphie to the boys, he and Checker always got along. I guess because it was made clear to everyone that Pucker was the king of the cage. I just hate to see them not getting along now. I'm trying to let them sort it all out themselves, but if anyone knows any way to make the transition smoother, please let me know. Meals and nap time have become a real battle. (They are fighting over Puckers' hammock. We have two but they both want the one pucker slept in.

Last edited:

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
There probably isn't a way to make things smoother for them. Unfortunately, they're going through grieving and establishing who is the dominant one at the same time. What you're seeing could be attributed to either of those things.

You certainly have my sympathies for your loss. There are so few true heroes who come into our lives, and I remember the smile it put on my face when I read about Pucker's heroism in your earlier thread about him saving Checker.

Marlania

Cavy Slave
Oh, I'm so sorry, Munchkin. Puker was a little hero, and I'm sorry for your loss.

Herbie Girl

Cavy Slave
I;m so sorry for your loss. Its hard to loose a pet that sudden especially when they were fine ealier. My thoughts are with you. RIP little Pucker.

Becky

CuTe*LIL*CaVy
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Tatalp

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry. I've never had a pet pass on suddenly, my hamster had been deteriorating for a while before passing on, it would be such a shock if one of my pigs was popcorning one minute and near death the next.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss. My daughter has just gone thru the same thing with her rat curley. Such wonderful little creatures that bring such joy into our lives. Pucker was a wonderful boy, you will love him forever. Hugs to you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.