Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other How much play fighting is normal?

Butterz-Digger

Cavy Slave
I just got two hamsters both males and both at the same time and from the same cage. At night when they are awake they seem to fight alot. One will be on his back and the other on top of him, and they are squealing. I have never seen either bite the other one. Is this normal or do they need to be separated? I have heard that they can hurt each other but also not to interfere if it is only playing. When they are sleeping and not fighting they seem to be good friends, they snuggle together when they sleep and run around freely with each other. That is why I am confused about the squabbling. I would really appreciate any information and advice on what I should do.

laura220

Cavy Slave
Are they Syrian hamsters or dwarves? Syrians are strictly solitary animals and need to be housed alone if they're not seperated soon one will end up dead.

Butterz-Digger

Cavy Slave
They are both dwarf hamsters.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Are you 100% sure they're both male?

Plummie

Cavy Slave
Dwarf hamsters play very rough, they will box, wrestle and squabble. It should pass eventually. If it doesn't or one of them is being bullied, bitten or hurt, I would separate them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.