Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Please Help

poozillas41

Cavy Slave
Okay. I have 3 guinea pigs. Skippy, Lily, and Reeses. I am currently in the process of building a C&C cage. Due to space restrictions, I am only able to build a 2X3 cage. I can build a loft, but I am unsure if this would be okay. Do you think I would be considered a bad mother to make them live in a 2X3? :confused: :weepy: :sorry: I feel like a mean person. Please give me advice. I am willing to give them free time as much as possible, but they pee and poop all over my floor. Is there any way to stop them from doing this? Also, this thread should be on topic since it is mainly about my cage problem. Thanks A LOT!

Giplet

Cavy Slave
Could you try building up? Have a 2x3 on top of a 2x3 on top of another 2x3? This way they have lots of levels to have their own space when they want to get away from each other and have alone time.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
That's not really ok. You should have 1 level that is large enough for them to all run around on and not try to make it up by adding extra levels. But if you absolutely cannot build a bigger cage(try rearranging some furniture) then it would be better to build several full size levels like Giplet suggested instead of making them live in just a 2x3 with a tiny 2nd level. If you put ramps on both ends it allows them to run up one ramp across the top level and back down the other side. Not ideal but at least they still get to do laps. That's only if you really can't build a bigger cage.

You can't stop guinea pigs from peeing and pooping everywhere. Sometimes you can convince them to pee in one spot by providing a hiding place over a towel. Mine have 2 towels laid down in the bottom of the hallway closet and a large box in there. It's their base they return to when they are scared or tired of running around. They still poop everywhere and occasionally pee on the floor but most of it ends up on the towels because they don't poop and pee as much while running around. It's more when they get tired or bored and just want to sit in a corner somewhere that they make a real mess. You can also lay down blankets on your floor and afterward roll them up and shake the droppings off outside or over a large trashcan. Alot of people here use fleece blankets for not only floortime but in place of bedding in the cage.

poozillas41

Cavy Slave
Okay. I just feel guilty, but I dont want to have to give them up. They mean the world to me.

poozillas41

Cavy Slave
Its either I keep them in my room in a 2X3 or keep them in the basement in a bigger cage. Which do you think would be better? I could get a heater for by their cage in the basement, but there isnt as much action down there as there is upstairs in my room. (I'd keep them in my living room, but my parents wont let me)

Kriket

Cavy Slave
If you could swing it, you could do a corner 2x4, which really doesen't take up much more (if any) room than a 2x3. It actually would only require 14.5 more inches, but not in one consecutive line, it would be L shaped. Try rearranging your room a bit, you'd be surprised how much room you can make just by moving a chair, or a stack or magazines. Trust me, I have a 2x10 "L" shaped cage, and it's not taking up any more room than the crap I had sitting in piles on my floor!

poozillas41

Cavy Slave
Okay. I'll try. What would a corner 2X4 look like? I'm new at this whole building thing, but I really want to make my piggys happy. I have a bunch of toys for them during floor time, and I have lots of hay and veggies. I'm just missing a nice cage for them.

Kriket

Cavy Slave
It's L shaped... look in the galleries. I was gonna draw a diagram, but I'm in the middle of something, so I'll have to do it later if you still need it.

poozillas41

Cavy Slave
Okay. I'll try to figure it out. But if you do have time later please post a diagram. If its not to much trouble. Thanks A LOT!!!

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Maybe you could even make some shelves under the pig cage and that could be used for more room?

poozillas41

Cavy Slave
The only problem is i have a bunk bed in my room and its like 12'X10' or something like that. So its rather small. And I dont have much wall space because i have a dresser on one wall 2 closets and a space between them, but thats about it. And even with a 2X3 I'd only have like 5sq ft in my room for myself. Which would be kind of... Actually REALLY crammed. But I will try my best.

Giplet

Cavy Slave
Could you sleep on the top bunk and put the cage underneath, on the bottom bunk?

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
Too funny Giplet :)

I would do what was suggested and have a 2 x 3 with a ramp on each side of the cage so they can somewhat run laps. Putting them in a unheated basement with no interaction is not in their best intrest. I am a bit concerned about the size of the cage they maybe currently living in. If you think a 2 x 3 is big and having trouble to find room for that I can only imagine. .. .Please make them a new cage. A 2 x 3 with levels is not ideal, but it will be a improvement.

Giplet

Cavy Slave
I'm confused! I didn't realise I made a joke. I thought my suggestion was good, wasn't it good?

:confused:

Chloë-Jasmine

Cavy Slave
I think that would work... kind of like those bunk beds that don't even have a bottom bunk and people usually put their computer or tv under it. I think it's like a loft bed or something. And a 2x4 would fit perfect in there. I guess it depends how the bunk bed is made but I don't think it would be too hard to get rid of the bottom. Or just stick the cage right on the matress or boxspring.

Giplet

Cavy Slave
Chloë-Jasmine said:
I think it's like a loft bed or something. And a 2x4 would fit perfect in there. I guess it depends how the bunk bed is made but I don't think it would be too hard to get rid of the bottom. Or just stick the cage right on the matress or boxspring.

That's what I meant, isn't that what it sounded like I meant? Ah well, at least the suggestion has been made properly now. :)

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I built my 2x4 into the closet and removed the closet doors to make space. I only had an 11x11 room but I fit two 2x4 cages, a 4' fish tank, my dresser with tv, a cabinet for all my stuff, and of course my bed.

poozillas41

Cavy Slave
Okay. Well. I have a wooden bunk bed, but my parents wont let me put the cage on the bottom bunk. I am going to beg them to let me keep them in the living room, since my room right now is really crowded. I feel like a witch. I should be arrested or something. Hmmm... Would a 2X4 be a good size for 3 piggies though? I can find a way to do that. I really should be arrested or something.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
Arrested--no....building a bigger cage yes :) Yes, build a 2 x 4 and than build a 2 x 2 hayloft and that will be great. The hayloft will not take up anymore room in you bedroom and will give your piggies a lot more space.

poozillas41

Cavy Slave
I know the loft wont. I just have to figure out how to fit a 2X4 in my room.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.