Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Food For Thought

mini'smama

Cavy Slave
Reading some of the posts in this forum has given me ideas. I am not saying that I am going to fully and immediately go veg. But, I definately see the sound reasons for reducing or outright eliminating the consumption of meats and of other animal products.

From May until October of 2001, I actually followed a vegan diet. I felt very good, physically. The week that I resumed eating animal products, I earned two days of serious intestinal distress. :sick:

I need to re-educate myself to make better food choices again.

mini'smama

Cavy Slave
Well, I haven't eaten any meat since Jan. 29. Even though it has not been quite a week, I still feel a definate difference. Boca Burgers are pretty good, as are the Morning Star Farms line of "meat free" products.

Things like real cheese and yogurts are still an area of weakness for me. I've tried soy cheese before....rude awakening, I got. I haven't quite dared to try the "soy" version of Stonyfield Farms yogurt yet.

2pigs4rats

Cavy Slave
Well done for making the effort to become veg again. Don't worry too much about cutting everything out all at once. Some people find it easier that way and some find it impossible to stop eating all animal products immediatly. Just by cutting down on the amounf of meat you eat you are already starting to make a difference. I am not sure where you live but if you have quorn products, most of those are pretty good!
I have been veggie for 2 and a half weeks so I am new to this myself, but I am finding it very interesting tasting different types of food rather than the traditional meat and two veg.
May I ask what tempted you off your vegan lifestyle?

mini'smama

Cavy Slave
Mostly, it was a matter of money. During my vegan period, I was spending $ 160 a month, or more, by purchasing strictly vegan products and other organic foods. When certain financial issues needed my resources, I ended up falling "off the wagon" so to speak, and resumed eating the animal based products and non-organic foods. They were the cheaper option.

Harleigh

Cavy Slave
I am forced to eat a mix. I am allergic to basic foods such as corn syrup, wheat, pineapple, papaya, and garlic. I have to eat meats to balance my diet and have to eat healthy for the other portion to stay healthy. I know what you guys are going through financially too, my husband can buy twice as much groceries for himself as I can for me because of my "special diet".

mini'smama

Cavy Slave
Although I managed for almost three weeks to be "meat free", I did fall off of the wagon...again. :ashamed:

My husband is not supportive of my efforts. He doesn't say anything bad, but he doesn't give me any encouragement, either.

Grrr...must try harder.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
My husband isn't supportive, but he isn't detrimental either so I know where you're coming from.

The important thing is to have the courage to try and try again. Try not to get down about set backs, just keep moving forward. Read something about vegetarianism every day. Read something about animal cruelty every day. It helps me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.