Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Rat cage?

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
Do you think that this cage would work for a rat?
92_1.JPG

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
THe bars may be too far spaced. I would go with The Ruud cage if you want something silmilar:

(broken link removed)

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
Thanks slap!

lilchris_28

Cavy Slave
I'm confused... Why does everyone recommend Martin's Cages and then turn around and say "don't put them on wire flooring"?

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
I actually use regular grids to make my cage and it worked out fine. If I had female rats I would need something smaller because they might be able to get through the holes. Martin's Cages are good. They have the plastic pan on the bottom and you can cover the wire floors with something. On mine I have that plastic grid stuff that you stich patterns onto(someone help me here I can't think of the name) that i bought at Joanns for like $.25 a sheet. It covers the floor and I can pull it out the give it a good scrub. I have to replace it every once in awhile since they chew on it but it is so inexpensive I dont really mind.

xguineapigrulez

Cavy Slave
lilchris_28 said:
I'm confused... Why does everyone recommend Martin's Cages and then turn around and say "don't put them on wire flooring"?

I guess they're saying, "Remove the wire flooring though".

lilchris_28

Cavy Slave
but the ramps and levels and everything are wire. I know what you're talking about with the plastic grid stuff but I'd be worried about it. I think I'm just going to buy one of the superpets ones with the plastic ramps and levels. It would make me less worried about it.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I recommed Martin's cages for the size but I always recommend putting something over the levels like linolium.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
I don't think the ramps are that big of a deal seeing as the rats actually climb alnog the sides of my cage. I would say to just cover the levels with something so they are not constantly on the wire.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I found these on critterstore and was wondering if anyone had ever used them. (broken link removed)
Of course while I was there, I ended up spending $32 on stuff for Percy, Caramel, and Wynnie. Yeah, they have me whipped!

lilchris_28

Cavy Slave
I used those on my hammies cage. They worked well.

dorim

Cavy Slave
stitsy&codyPig said:
Do you think that this cage would work for a rat?
92_1.JPG

I have this exact cage for my 6 male rats and they have not escapped. The bars are too close together for a male rat to get through. I don't know about a female. My rats love it, they run up and down it and have fun playing in it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.