Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Does anyone know how to entertain thier cavy?

CavyGuy90

Cavy Slave
My Gp doesnt like to really do anything, does anyone know any tricks or something that would help this lazzyness issue?
Thanks.

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

CavyGuy90

Cavy Slave
I would except

cavylover said:
Get another piggy cagemate for him .
I would get another one but my parents wont let me. My GP is 3 years old and they dont want another one around. :(

cavylover

QHTonka

Cavy Slave
cavylover said:
Hmmm maybe if you hide him when you rescue him and dont let your parents know and then say Poof a new piggy appeared. lol, sorry got a little carried away there.

That works!!! I had 1 pig and someone told me about a female at the shelter he voulunters at and at the time I was living with my parents so I picked her up one day and said look what followed me home!!:) she was soooo cute and SOOO sweet they couldn't say no... oh wait they did but it didn't work:)

cavylover

willy5

Cavy Slave
i got another one and that didnt help.. the older one is so big and fat that all she does is sit there whether i take them out for their floor time or not.. the other one stays right beside her and nudges her but she just bites her.. how do you get them to play, get their excerise they need?????????

cavylover

supertramp

Cavy Slave
Make him a cozy to be lazy in, I bet he'll like it.

cavylover

ChadWPB

Cavy Slave
CavyGuy90 said:
My Gp doesnt like to really do anything, does anyone know any tricks or something that would help this lazzyness issue?
Thanks.
There's NO SUBSTITUTE for a playmate for a guinea pig. Your mother is not being fair to the pig. Your existing pig will be happier and healthier with another of its species. He'll play with the other pig and not be so lazy.

Costs will increase by roughly 25%, it won't double.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
in the day, how long is he away alone for? He must get really bored and lonely, so I think a cagemate will liven things up a little bit. Please, try to persuade your mum!

ChadWPB

Cavy Slave
Our pigs spend a significant portion of the day alone since my wife and I both work. Having trios, plus a radio playing soft jazz music during the day keeps them quite happy.​

99p Flake

Cavy Slave
I've noticed that our Guinea Pigs are most active during the early evening and night. This is because both me and my husband are together at that time, and make a lot of noise, which sets them off.. We talk in bed, with the light dimmed, and that is the time when they are most likely to go mad and start popcorning everywhere :p

Keeping the radio or TV on is something we usually do, but they don't react to it as much as they do to us just talking :) Maybe I should read them bed time stories?

GuineaTV

Cavy Slave
Piglet said:
in the day, how long is he away alone for? He must get really bored and lonely, so I think a cagemate will liven things up a little bit. Please, try to persuade your mum!

Plus, a cagemate won't mean any more space taken up in the house. It is nice to be an adult and choose my own pets! Just had fish growing up! If you can't score another pig, try to get a huge floortime space, (you can probably convince mom to let you buy a set of cube panels to make a playpen out of and use the garage (put down cheap shower curtain or, better yet, buy a $20 brown 6'x8' rug at Odd Job - my pigs love to run (and poop) all over carpeting; you can shake it out in the yard and roll it up when not in use. My mother-in-law gave me a very light old rug she wanted to throw out - I'll bet someone you know has a rug like that; just walk around your neighborhood on trash day), kitchen (if not busy, also need a cheap rug - they don't like to run on flat slippery floors), or backyard (if it's unsprayed - and you must watch him every second) and sit down in there with your pig. After he gets used to it, he may discover the joys of lap running! If you condition him to a particular sound that means "treat coming" (I make a kissy noise), he'll at least have to walk back and forth to you to get grub!

Key is - try to make cleanup easy to help mom out! And offer to show how responsible you are by doing extra chores or working to earn the extra money you'll need for a second pig. Now do this for a year, and see if she'll change her mind. (Sorry, piggies are expensive! They have to go to the vet sometimes! Hamsters are really better "starter pets", as much as I love piggies, they are so addictive - oh well!)

GuineaTV

Cavy Slave
stay on mom's good side

ChadWPB said:
There's NO SUBSTITUTE for a playmate for a guinea pig. Your mother is not being fair to the pig. Your existing pig will be happier and healthier with another of its species. He'll play with the other pig and not be so lazy.

I agree that you can explain to mom the benefits of a cage mate, but don't tell your mom she's being unfair to your pet. She could respond, rightly so to be honest, that when you originally wanted this pet you didn't tell her you needed two. It's not her fault you ended up with a lazy piggy! :) It would be unfair to her if you put responsibility on her that she didn't agree to in the first place. HOWEVER, definitely explain (in a very nice way) why it wouldn't be more bother to her and you could even show her this forum so she can see what people have said about adding a second pig.

Do yourself a favor, though, if you're getting a second pig, and your pig is an adult, try to get a spayed female for him, so that there's almost zero chance of fighting. Or save up enough money to neuter yours. I got a young male for my adult male, as many folks suggest, and they got along great until the little guy reached maturity, and the older one started beating him up. Of course by this time I was completely attached to both of them, and, long story short, I'm gonna end up with FOUR so they will both have playmates! But as you don't have your own home, you would do well to do a male-female (fixed) pairing or read up on this site about introductions so you don't have to ever deal with this!

KmKrazy9

Cavy Slave
I know what you mean. My mom who isnt very fond of my love for piggys doesnt want another one. And poor Amy has been living alone for sooo long and she looks so bored and tired. But I just finished making the new cage (C&C) that was my first goal. Then in a couple weeks I hope to prove to her that getting another wont make my mom have more work!

cavylover
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.