Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing C.G.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I have a new GP in the house. There is an interesting (and maddening) story behind it.

Let me start out by saying that I understand why so many pets were left behind after Hurricane Katrina. I stand behind people (well most people) getting their pets back. Many people had to be rescued and their pets were denied entrance onto the buses, helecopters, boats, etc and denied entrance into the Shelters like the Superdome. Others honestly thought that they would be back in a day or two (I though I would) and that their pets would be safe.

However not all animals had owners that had their animals' best interests at heart. Some knew their animals were in terrible danger and didn't even bother protecting them at all.

C.G. (stands for CorpseGrinder--my hubby picked the name) was one of the animals left behind by an unthinking owner.

C.G.'s humans rode out the storm in their house. However, C.G. was left in an outside hutch with 2 other guinea pigs and 11 rabbits (in other hutches) to weather the storm.

Luckily they all survived the winds, rain and flying debris despite the danger. After the storm was over and their humans thought that the danger was past the humans heard that the Levees had broken and the city was flooding. They got in their car with 3 of their 4 dogs and left.

Before they left they opened the hutch doors on all of the outdoor cages but did not bother doing anything else for the 11 rabbits, 3 Gps and they even left the 1 dog they left behind outside.

Over a month later friends of mine (friends of the house and animal owner) moved into the house. What they found was horrible.

The neighborhood didn't flood but death didn't just ride in the water. The dog was dead, 1 rabbit was dead, 7 rabbits were missing, 3 rabbits were found alive but one was so sick it died soon after being found. 2 GPs died in their cages (unwilling to take the 2 foot jump to the ground that would have, perhaps, saved their lives), the other must have fallen out and was found alive in the yard.

My friends put the 2 surviving rabbits back in their hutches and went out and bought a largish petstore cage for CG and moved her inside. They have been taking very good care of the rabbits and C.G.

I offered to take C.G. home with me since she was a girl and to leave her would mean that when the owner came back she would get back the animals she left behind despite knowing that the city was flooding and having a car to get out of the city.

When I first met C.G. I gave her a quick health check. She looked great for what she had been through. She seems to be older as she looks to have cataracs. I also flipped her over quickily to sex her. No scrotum and I couldn't extrude a penis.

She had been under the care of my friends for over 2 months with no interaction with any other animals in an indoor cage so quarentine was pretty much done too.

Home she came with me. She was placed in my girls' cage with a partition. After a couple of days there was so much friendly purring and gentle interest between them that I decided for some veggie filled floortime interaction.

CG was in LOVE with my girls. She purred so loudly I was amazed. My girls did not seem at all upset by the newcomer either.

After a little while though C.G. started trying to mount my girls. At first I thought it was a dominance thing but there was no rumblestrutting, just that loud purring and C.G. kept getting more and more insistant with the attempts to mount.

I quickly pulled her out, turned her oven and tried to extrude a penis again. This time it came out! Good LORD!!! It was nearly a disaster! Thank goodness HE never managed to mount my girls.

Now I'm not sure what to do. I have no room for another permanant cage. If I keep C.G. he must be neutered and money is tight right now. Meanwhile he is banished back to the pettore cage until I can put together a temporary C&C.

So anyone want to adopt a VERY deserving Katrina survivor/sex changing Guinea Pig?

Oh yeah there are 2 rabbits that could also use homes. A female rabbit (white dwarf) who is a bit cage agressive and a sweet male (white dwarf/standard crossbreed I think)

Here is CorpseGrinder

JackSpicerRules

Cavy Slave
He is such a cutie! I wish I could adopt a pig right now, too. Maybe someone on this site IS looking for a boar. I hope you can have him adopted. Or neutered, so you can keep him!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Oh man. Lou needs to get a clue and give piggers better names. First MEGABEAST, and now CorpseGrinder, what the hell is that man thinking?

It sucks that "she" turned out to really be a "he" but at least you found out now without any of the girlies getting pregnant.

Thanks for taking him and the buns in and I will keep my fingers crossed that you will find great homes for all of them.

P.S. can I have some new pics of Baby Elly Lil Ly MEGABEAST? I miss our baby.

JackSpicerRules

Cavy Slave
Ly makes me laugh lol

RyanR

Cavy Slave

JennG

Cavy Slave
Well VJ, I guess you got a BIG surprise, huh? I'm sorry it didn't work out that he wasn't actually a she. Maybe he was shy at first and didn't want to share? Good luck with him and I hope everything works out with either a new home or his possible neutering. He is very cute!

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
If I could have him couriered to the UK I would, but I think he's been through enough! Fingers crossed you find a lovely home for him and the rabbits.

munchkin

Cavy Slave
Oh, he is so cute. I wish I could take him. I have the room, I only live in central Texas; but like you said, it is a money thing. We are down to living on my husbands Disability pay, which isn't much. Right now that is the only thing keeping me from hopping in my truck and heading for New Orleans.

Harleigh

Cavy Slave
I have been looking for a male companion for my Aiden, but I just don't have the money to drive to New Orleans.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
I think I will be looking into getting him neutered so he can live with my girls. A couple of people from GuineaLynx have offered to make a donation to his neuter and so have my friends that watched over him until I could come get him. If I can get my vet to discount the rate more (he usually gives discounts for rescued/fostered animals) I may be able to get the cost down to something I can manage.

Harleigh

Cavy Slave
That's awesome. I know he has a good home with you and I hope you get the money rasied!

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
He's a cutie pie!

So are you living in your home again?

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
Aww, he is so cute, but an odd name. Is he an abssinian? I want him, and I don't live that far from New Orleans. Hehe. If you can't get the money you need to post and say that.

zambonigirl

Cavy Slave
He's really cute.

There are places that can help you neuter pets if you can't afford it, like The Doris Day Foundation, etc. Or maybe you could set up a PayPal account, and we could all donate? But that's only if you want to keep him. If not, I hope that you find an owner. Good luck!

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
nonamian_girl - So are you living in your home again?

Yes, I'm back in my home. I've been home since Dec 29th. It's a little rough at times but we'll muddle through.

My Baby Mu - Is he an abssinian?

I have no idea WHAT he is. Peruvian head, abyish sides, rooster butt. He's crazy looking but cute and oh-so-sweet.

I trimmed his nails today. They weren't too bad. He had a small foot spur on one foot so I trimmed that. One of his back toenails is missing. I don't know if it will grow back or not. He also has the start of bumblefoot on one back foot (he was kept in an outdoor hutch with a wire bottom). The good news is it isn't infected and is almost healed. Most of the swelling and redness is gone too. I think he will be making a full recovery.

He will be going to the vet this week for a check-up. T and several other people believe he may already be neutered as he is absolutely a male but has no visible testicles. If he's neutered then he gets to stay. At this point I hope he does. He keeps making these sad whistling sounds to the girls and gets all excited when they wheek and whistle back. He's in love and I'd hate to break up a good relationship.

Last edited:

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
I hope you get to keep him. I also hope the bumblefoot heals quickly.

pink_cottonball

Cavy Slave
I hope that you can get hinm neutered or adopted and that you can get the rabbits adopted! I second Ly's name quote! (I'm assuming Lou is your husband?) I didn't know that you had a pigger named MEGABEAST! lol Anmd CorpseGrinder? :crazy: Men...

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Baby Elly Lil Ly MEGABEAST is the daughter of my Chatty. VJ adopted her from me last year. Her hubby would only let her have Lil Ly on the condition that she would be named MEGABEAST. She is one of the only pigs that I know that has that many names. VJ's hubby is very strange when it comes to naming piggers.

Elly, C.G. looks to me like he's an Abyruvian.

pink_cottonball

Cavy Slave
Oh man! :) Confused when you say Elly,C.G. looks to melike he's an....?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
To clear up pink's (and anyone else's) confusion on the names:

Elly = VJ
Ly = Ly
Lou = VJ's husband = wierd naming habits
MEGABEAST = Baby Elly = Lil Ly = Ly's Chatty's baby girl = proof of wierd naming habits
C.G. = new piggy = CorpseGrinder = more proof of wierd naming habits

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.