Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Carefresh and ?

iloveguineapigs

Cavy Slave
I have recently expanded my cavies cage from a commercial bought to a 2x4 C&C cage. I had used Carefresh by itself but now it is too expensive to use alone. I was thinking about puting something cheaper undernaeth the Carefsh. Will this work? and What should I put under the Carefersh?

Thanks

iloveguineapigs

Cavy Slave
sorry about the spelling

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Treen

Cavy Slave
Here's a good page on the different types of bedding https://guineapigcages.com/bedding.htm - hopefully you should be able to find something that suits you and your piggy better than the carefresh. Maybe some aspen/ kiln dried pine shavings under the carefresh.

aimeeinohio

Cavy Slave
carefresh & ....

I would line your cage with newspaper, then put the carefresh on top if you want to use it. I personally do not care for it, so I use all newspaper. A rescuer I know lays newspaper, then a thin ayer of wood shavings, and carefresh on top. Cage is NEVER wet this way.

HTH
Aimee & The Boyz

kennethlhm

Cavy Slave
line with newspaper, then pine woodshaving then only carefresh as newspaper (FOC) & pine woodshaving is good absorbent & cheap

cavylover

Suzie

Cavy Slave
iloveguineapigs said:
I have recently expanded my cavies cage from a commercial bought to a 2x4 C&C cage. I had used Carefresh by itself but now it is too expensive to use alone. I was thinking about puting something cheaper undernaeth the Carefsh. Will this work? and What should I put under the Carefersh?

I ran into the same problem with Carefresh costing a lot to cover my 2 X 5 cage. This time around I spread Aspen shavings on the bottom and just a small layer of Carefresh and it worked out great and I only used about 1/3 of the Carefresh bag so it will obviously last longer.

I put a partial second level with a ramp in their cage last week. I am using fleece up there. I really liked it and have gotten fleece to line most of the main level. I will still use Aspen and Carefresh in the last 12 inches of the cage because that is where they are pretty trained and only go to the bathroom in that area. The fleece to cover the cage (with enough for 2 changes) was only $20. Cheaper than a months worth of Carefresh. I hope it works!

cavylover

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
I have the same question - what about just newspaper and hay?

Carefresh is too $$$ for a large cage. What about layers of newspaper and then tons of hay? Hay can be bought by the bale and is dirt cheap so I don't worry about using tons of it and tossing it when I clean the cage. But is this best for my pigs or do they need some sort of other bedding. I do use a small amount of carefresh in the corners where they do most of their peeing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.