Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Need rat info

CuteButShyPig

Cavy Slave
I have heard that rats are one of the most loving and effectionate animals other than guinea pigs:). And I want to look into getting one, but I live with my mother because I am in highschool. I would like links to cool website for only rats like Cavycages is only guinea pigs. I always get this feeling like I need another animal around this time and sometimes I can talk my mother into it and I would really want a rat, and I can efford one and all it's medical care. So if anyone can give me website that would be great lol.

CuteButShyPig

Cavy Slave
Also if I can't get my mom to get a rat because they are "gross" to her just because she doesn't understand domestic rats are different from sewer rats, if I got a mouse could I put it in a wire cage or would it excape?

2pigs4rats

Cavy Slave
Rats actually tend to be much more loving and affectionate than the average guinea pig. They will rush to greet you when you get home and will love snuggling with you.
Also rats are social like guinea pigs so it is unadvisable to get just the one. They also need a huge cage as they love to climb and explore.
Vets bills are also pretty expensive for a rat, since rats are prone to a disease called Myco which all rats carry but it becomes active after a trigger of stress, dirty bedding or aerosols or just an infection.
Mice tend not to be as easily to handle and as loving as rats, mice are likely to escape from a wire cage unless the bar spacing is very close, they also tend to smell more.
In my opinion rats make better pets than mice, simply because they are easy to handle, lovable and intelligent. Mice tend to be more skittish and more interested in running around. Rats are also able to run around for play time in a "rat-proofed" room, whereas mice would have to be watched far closer as they are more likely to scmaper away and get lost.
Two good sites for rat are (broken link removed) and www.ratzrus.co.uk both of which have information on rat care and forums with great people!

CuteButShyPig

Cavy Slave

DrkSilence13

Cavy Slave
You can get all the information you could ever want on www.rmca.org . They have a forum, too. Everyone on the forum is very nice.

If you plan on getting a rat, it would be better to get 2. They are just as social as guinea pigs and do best in pairs or more. They are very very social and very intelligent. I think the hardest part of keeping a rat/s is keeping them entertained. They need a lot of mental stimulation. They will run to greet you at the cage door for treats or play time. Rats also need a pretty large cage (2 sq. ft. per rat minimum). They love to climb so a taller cage is better.

Mice also do best in pairs or more. However...if you decide on males. They have to be housed seperately. They will almost always fight, no matter how big the cage is. Females need to be kept in pairs or more. They won't be able to fit through the bars of a wire cage if the bar spacing is 1/4" or less. 10-20 gallon fish tanks with wire screen tops work best though. Mice are generally harder to handle than rats. In order to pick them up you have to kind of scoop them up in your hands. It can be very difficult with an untamed mouse.

That's all the info I can think of at the moment. If I think of any more I'll be sure to post it. Hope I helped!

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
I have a rat and a guinea pig. And my rat is much sweeter, and love to be held, cuddled, played with ect.
ratballs.com is an ok website. I have not founf very many great websites on rats yet, but I am still looking.
When I first asked my mom if I could get a rat she totally flipped out! But after about a week I talked her into it. two of the things that really helped me to talk her into was 1. my rat book said that even though rats are nocturnel they are happy to get up at any time of the day to play with you. And 2. was that I read on the internet that rats will except you and like you as if you were another rat.

CuteButShyPig

Cavy Slave
I tired talking my mother into it and she said no, a definit no. But my other favorite pet was a hamster and ive had hamsters in the past so I adopted one from the local SPCA and her name is peanut! She is a syrian, I will not be needing any more rat info but you can post some anyways because I will be getting one in 2 years, becuase me friend has one and they are, like everyone said really social. Thanks for your help anyways!

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
I am happy to hear you adopted a hamster, and I am sure you will get it a great home!

valerie k

Cavy Slave
Hi. I am owned by five loving rats at the moment. They really are the sweetest most affectionate animals. Just wanted to let you know, rat palace is no longer in business. I would really recomend the site goosemoose pet portals. (broken link removed) have been there for years and really enjoy it.

Chloë-Jasmine

Cavy Slave
I have 2 rats and they lick my hand until its clean and sit on my shoulder while I'm walking around. I LOVE them. I can see why your mom didn't want one, people get the general image of a sewer rat or a big house mouse. I'm glad you adopted a hammy though.

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
I ment I am sure you will give it a great home!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.