Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties grids for rats

wierdo4life

Cavy Slave
I really want to build one of my rats a new cage, I saw a picture of a rat cage made out of grids with really small squares, that would be perfect for my rat because he can fit his head in the guinea pig's grids. The problem is I have no idea where I can get them, they seem like a easy and inexspensive way to make a rat cage. Does anyone know where to get them??

thanks so much

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Bed, Bath, and Beyond has mesh grids. They're the same shape and size as the regular ones, but have a fine wire mesh instead of the bigger squares.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Those small square grid were discontniued at Target. I can't find any anywhere. For my two boys I am just using regular sized grid. They can stick their heads out but can't and don't try to fit through the holes.

Chloë-Jasmine

Cavy Slave
For my rats' cage, I went to Dollarama and bought metal cooling racks, that you would use for baking. The only thing is, because of how they're designed, the coroplast has to go on the outside of the grids, like a regular store bought cage. I had to use them for mine, because they are just babies, and they squeezed right through the regular ones.

wierdo4life

Cavy Slave
Is there anywhere online I can get them??

HelenS

Cavy Slave
babygrl1234 said:
Those small square grid were discontniued at Target. I can't find any anywhere. For my two boys I am just using regular sized grid. They can stick their heads out but can't and don't try to fit through the holes.

Hi

I was just wondering if you had found a solution to your problem as I am having the same issue. Do you think the rats could get through the regular sized grid if they tried hard enough? My rat, who is now fully grown, is in a parrot cage at the moment but I would like to give him some more room and the self constructing mesh grids that people seem to be useing for Guinea Pigs look perfect, but i'm worried about him escaping. Can you give me any advise? Thanks

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
My rats are big fat well fed lazy boys. They are way to chubby to fit through the grids. I think the grid would be too big for female rats but they work well for my boys. I have my cage set up inside of a under bed rubbermaid box. It is two grids long, one grid wide and 3 grids tall. I have four grids on the inside at different levels for them to hang out on. On those grids I have some plastic sewing canvas from Joanns so they are not walking on the grids all day. Let me check and see if I have any photos for you.

Okay let me see if this works.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
That pic was before I put the last level on the top.

HelenS

Cavy Slave
Great, thanks for your help, I'll get building this weekend!

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave

ginger_fish

Cavy Slave
that cage looks a little small...

2pigs4rats

Cavy Slave
That cage looks fine gingerfish! Bigger than most store bought cages and cozy for the boys!

ginger_fish

Cavy Slave
I have 3 cages and none of mine are that small and I've never spent more than $80.00 on making them... I guess I have to high of a standard of living for my girls and boys.

2pigs4rats

Cavy Slave
I have a high standard of living too for my boys!! However they get tons of time out their cage which is store bought and huge! All I am saying is that cage looks great and you shouldn't be quite so critical, it's great that you have such huge cages for your rats but that cage looks good too and the boys look happy, healthy and have nice toys to play with.

S4020257.jpg

ginger_fish

Cavy Slave
I like your size, very nice. Also I'm not that critical I have 4 different species of pets and 3 need cages, all of the cages are double the size of that stupid calculator thing. Also all cages have tons and tons of toys, along with several homes(incase they have fights and don't want to sleep together). I'll stop judging people's cages from now on, unless it's horribly needed.:)

2pigs4rats

Cavy Slave
Lol ok, I know those cage calculator things do suck - I only have three boys in that cage though it says I can have about 9, that would be a little crowded. Sorry, if I seemed a little harsh aswell, I guess I'm a little cranky since I lost my Henry rat this morning.
Sorry again Gingerfish I know you were just being helpful.

ginger_fish

Cavy Slave
I got my cage roughly enough for 5 rats and I went to linen's and things and got fine mesh cubes and I'm gonna double the size of there cage today:D before I gotta go to work, I gotta be at work at 12:00AMlol. My girls have fights once in a while and don't like to see each other, womenlol , and this way they'll have more space to "cool off" so that nobody get's to cranky at the other. We're also in the process of litter box training them which will open up even more doors for them.

It's ok, we're all a little emotional when we lose a close and loving friend, who am I kidding, when my girlfriend lost her little Sophie this morning I was crying for atleast an hour after I found out. Just reflect on everything he's done and the good times.

Last edited:

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Yeah Ginger I think you should stop judging. Especially when I see a comment made about a cage of mine. My cage is actually big enough for 5 rats and I only have two boys in there. Maybe if you spent a little extra time reading posts (like the one below the picture saying that the picture was taken before adding the upper level) and less time critisizing everyone else you would know that members around here have large roomy cages for their pets. I don't appreciate being accused of having a cage that "looks a little small" and it being insinuated that you have such "high standard" of living for your pets and the rest of us don't.

ginger_fish

Cavy Slave
Yeah Ginger I think you should stop judging
I'll stop judging people's cages from now on, unless it's horribly needed.
Wow, what a great example to listen to your own advice!

My cage is actually big enough for 5 rats and I only have two boys in there.
Heh, now that I just added my other side to my cage last night our cage can hold 15 rats by that stupid calculator and the home has 4 houses 2 sets of food and water as well as there wheel. They are potty trained so they had blanketing on many parts.

I don't appreciate being accused of having a cage that "looks a little small" and it being insinuated that you have such "high standard" of living for your pets and the rest of us don't.

Compared to my cage alot of people's cages are small. I also made a spelling error I meant to type higher not high, I a apologize for that.

Why not forget about getting bent out of shape over something as pointless as this and stop arguing aimlessly over the internet?

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Ahh I see. So you get to criticize but if I respond I am getting bent out of shape. That's a convenient system...for you. But hey if it makes you feel good about yourself to go and criticize others and then get frazzled about others being "rude" to you then so be it. I know a good word for that.

Can anyone else smell it?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.