Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

A question about hay

Herbie Girl

Cavy Slave
I have many feed stores around here but none carry timothy based hay. They told me fresh hay is ok though. Does anyone buy their hay at a feed store and not be Timothy ?

Becky

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
You can feed adult cavies any grass hay. This includes timothy, bermuda, bluegrass, or orchard grass. You can feed
any but clover hay and alfalfa hay to adult cavies.

Maggie

Cavy Slave
I second that, anykind is ok except for the alfalfa. (Hey slap, can you explain why not clover, I never heard that...or paid attention...)

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Clover hay, like alfalfa, is not a grass hay but a legume hay so it has different nutrients than hay like timothy.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
This should be in bedding and hay not cavy chat. Please post your questions in the appropriate forum.

My girls lived off bermuda for the longest time. I got it in bales at the local feed stores. Now they have bermuda, KM's bluegrass and KM's 3rd cut timothy. It doesn't matter what type of grass hay you feed as long as you feed it in unlimited amounts. Stay away from legume hays such as alfalfa and clover.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.