Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Eo's Cavies

Eolith

Cavy Slave
Woot! I decided to start my own thread about my guinea pigs. This is where I'll post all of my updates and such so that the updates don't get all spread out and hard to piece together. So if you want to hear about my guinea pigs, come here! I'll start new threads for emergencies that need attention immediately, but all the other stuff will stay here.

First, I'll tell a little bit about my setup. I have just finished building a 2x6 C&C cage with a 1x2 loft. My dad helped a ton, and for that I am forever grateful. I would have lost patience a long time ago, but he just kept working at it (I'm talking mainly about the ramp... the cage itself wasn't so hard). I'll post pictures as soon as I'm done writing this, so they'll be up.

Now to talk about my cavies, and here's where I could go on forever! I am getting sisters from a friend. The mother piggie was a classroom pet, and she was miserable. The teacher later found out that she was pregnant. My friend kindly insisted that she take over the mother's care from then on. The babies were born on Winston Churchill's birthday. I'm so excited to get my bundles of fur! They'll be coming over this weekend. I'll be sure to make plenty of pigtures available. The sisters are Abysinnians, one is solid black and the other is black with a splotch or two of orange-red. The black one will be named Stella, and the other will be named Caitra. My sister came up with 'Caitra'... I'm not sure that I'm fond of it... but it's only fair since I named Stella and we're both taking care of them. Anyway, I think I've done enough talking (or typing) for a while. I'll shutup... hopefully you'll make it through all of this text and still have questions for me, because I'll be waiting for them. lol

P.S.
Eo is my screename's nickname, it's rather sad that I have a nickname for my nickname... but that's the way it worked out. I was dubbed Eo by some friends on a forum. Eolith is also the name of my goddess in my story, but I needn't get into that...

Woot! I decided to start my own thread about my guinea pigs. This is where I'll post all of my updates and such so that the updates don't get all spread out and hard to piece together. So if you want to hear about my guinea pigs, come here! I'll start new threads for emergencies that need attention immediately, but all the other stuff will stay here.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! You make my job so easy, now if everyone else would do the same, I would be one extremely happy camper! If you have a true medical emergency though, it's better to not post but go immediately to the vet.

When I said 'emergencies' I didn't mean life-threatening ones... more like stupid questions that I need answers to ASAP before I do something idiodic.

Very interesting! Be sure to share pics of Stella and Caitra. By the way, how do you pronounce Caitra?

Hehe, I think that's the first time I ask how someone pronounces a name. Usually I'm the one telling others how to say my name.

Hmm... how to type it... kai-tra? The 'kai' sounds similar to the way one would say kite and the 'tra' is similar to how one would say track... but obviously without the extra letters... hehe.

Ah, okay. I got it.:)

I'm so jittery. We're going to get the guinea pigs soon and I absolutely cannot wait! We might get them today, but it's more likely that we'll get them tomorrow. That reminds me, I have a question. I know that it's better to let them adjust to life in the new cage, but should I start giving them their floor time from the start or wait until they've settled in some?

Hi!
I would wait until they have settled in a bit. Maybe a day or so. It depends on the piggies personalities. If they are very shy then let them adjust for a while.
That's what i would do anyway.

Grace

Yes, wait a day or two. If they're still pretty skittish wait another day. You'll want to stay out of the room and maybe leave the light off for a few hours after you bring them home to make sure they settle in nicely. Try scattering a chunk or two of carrot and a bit of lettuce or other veggies in their cage to encourage them to explore.

Good Plan. ;) I'm excited. When I went to visit them, I could tell immediately who was the dominant and bold one: Stella. Caitra was following her all over the place. They are nearly inseperable.

We were all sitting on the couch and it seemed like I was the gathering place. A few times, I had mom and babies all to myself... of course that meant that I also got quite a bit of poo and even some puddles on me. Oh well, what can you say? Their cuteness more than made up for it.

Great idea for a thread. I have done the same thing on some other forums and have been meaning to start one up here too.

Stella and Caitra are beautiful names for piggies. Congrats.

I could scream right now. My friend's close acquaintance has fallen seriously ill and is in the hospital. She can't let me have the guinea pigs until next week. I'm going to start ripping out my hair if I have to wait much longer. I have everything set. All the toys, the cage, the bedding, the food, the hay. Everything. All I need are the cavies! Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all mad at my friend. I understand the circumstances, and I hope that things get better... I'm just extremely dissappointed.

Also, she wants to bring the whole guinea pig family to my house so that the mom cavy can see her daughters' new home. I hope that she doesn't get worried or defensive over things like the mineral lick being absent and other little unneeded things. I don't think that she's come here, and she's very defensive about 'the way' that she does things. I would try to educated her, but her cavies are happy enough as is. She still has them in a big cage, and she probably has more actual experience than I do.

This is getting extremely frustrating. :headache: I've been waiting and preparing for nearly a month! I've got everything, right down to the exact pellet brand needed. It's always going to be this day, or that weekend, and somehow it always falls through. This is really stressing me out. I keep getting my hopes up only to have them brutally crushed again.

I doubt that anyone will actually read this in any case. My non-exsistant cavies hold little interest for you, and since you already know what's in this thread, you don't want to bother with it any more. It's understandable. I'll just keep posting my updates as they come...

I just needed to vent. :ashamed:

Gah. I want this week to be over. My brain is working overtime. I have finals this week, and it's driving me perfectly insane... I don't even have any guinea pigs around to take away some of the stress. I guess I was right when I predicted that no one wanted to read this any more. Maybe someday someone will have the patience to read all of this. I'll just keep posting in my thread. It was nearly impossible to find it this time, I had to go back a few pages. Only one more day of tests... only four more hours... I hope can survive. I have Friday off, thank goodness! My plans are to turn into a vegetable! I don't want to have to think about anything!... except maybe whether or not I'll get my cavies...

By the way, we decided that 'Addie' would be a better name than 'Caitra', but it's still prone to change. I do like the way Addie sounds though...

Just make sure you don't turn into a vegetable once you HAVE your cavies! You might get nibbled. ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about floor time, I have three in a 5x3 with a 1.5x2.3 wing. One of mine was accidently bred, and lived in a small pet store cage with only pellets. She LOVES her c and c, and when I put her out with the others, she chews on the bars to get back in until I let her. If I take a grid out of the side, she will jump the coroplast to get back in. I usually just leave her in there and make sure that the edges of the cage are always clear of hidey houses, etc, and the 5x3 section is large enough for her to run laps. Normally she will come over and eat out of my hand, but when I've already got the others out, she really tries hard to get away. I really think she knows what's coming!

My others love floortime, pulling up the sheet and shower curtains from under the grids and then peeing on the floor is one of their favorite past times.

I got my beautiful cavies!!! WOOT! Ahem. Anyway, I have about a thousand things to say. I didn't end up getting the two 'sisters' I thought I was getting. Turns out that two of the babies are now pretty obviously male. They're two months old and they've been with mommy and sister the entire time. I know. Bad. I feel partially guilty because I knew that they were supposed to be separated at three weeks, but our friend checked them and checked them and she was almost certain that they were all female, so I didn't mention it.

I have the two males now. They are absolute cuties, and I'm hoping that they'll get along alright, apparently they've been in a few scuffles in the past. Obviously, the names Stella and Caitra aren't really going to work any more, so I've got to find some new ones. We are considering naming one of them Winston (Winny for short) since they were born on his birthday and he was known as Winny when he was young.

Our friends are coming over tomorrow morning to make sure that all is well and that they are alright... I hope they just don't find any flaws with my cage setup.

Congratulations!!! Can't wait to hear what other name you've come up with! Please don't worry about your friends and their perception of your set-up. I'm sure it is INCREDIBLE and if they say ANYTHING, it will be out of feeling inferior because they don't/haven't provided the same for their pigs. :)

Awww! Thats so great you fineally got them... although they weren't the ones you thought they were gonna be. Keep us posted!~

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.