Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Where do you get Protein?

SouthernBelle

Cavy Slave
I have thought about becoming a VG, but my parents say it is stupid because you don't get protein. So my question is, where do you get protein if you are a VG?

Access

Cavy Slave
Read both these pages. In modern science, it is an ongoing debate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protien
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_amino_acid

(quoted from above) "Despite what the name suggests, quality proteins are not essential for good supplementation or nutrition within the average person, however, the difference between amino acids in plant and animal proteins is discernable, particularly for athletes or bodybuilders as plant proteins lack two major amino acids found in animal proteins; lysine within grains, and methionine within legumes, major benefactors to a major athlete's dietary regime. Neverthelss, in terms of quality, amino acids found in plant and animal extracts are identical. [4]"

SouthernBelle

Cavy Slave
Oh....okay!

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
What Access said. :)
For me, I get most of my protein from rice & beans, (together they make a "complete" protein) and nuts. A handful of almonds goes a long way!

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
I love Boca. It tells you on the package how much protein is in it compared to the actual meat. It usually has twice the amount of protein than the actual meat.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
And meat doesn't always have the right protiens. The protien in meat was throwing my system out of whack. Plant based protien was so much gentler on my system.

Having everything listed on the package in large idiot proof numbers helps too. Not all meat is required to list nutritional content. At least not in Canada.

WritingLife

Cavy Slave
Find the book "Diet for a Small Planet." It just came out with a 20th anniversary edition not long ago. It's not too hard to find in libraries, too. The book explains the whole science of complimentary protein and makes it simple.

Lots of foods, of both plant and animal origin, have protein. But what we need is not just "protein" in general, but particular proportions of amino acids, the building blocks of proteins. Proteins are broken down in our digestive systems into amino acids, which are then absorbed.

Most of the proteins we get from plant foods are rich in some crucial amino acids and poor in others. By eating several different plant foods, each of which is rich in a different amino acid, the total amino acid "soup" in your digestive system will have the right balance.

It sounds complicated, but fortunately it comes down to a few simple combinations, such as whole grains plus beans or tofu, or whole grains plus sunflower seeds -- mixes you see in a lot of "peasant" foods and ethnic foods. You don't have to get both at exactly the same time, either. So long as you are getting a mix of plant protein sources over the day, you'll get the amino acid mix that you need.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.