Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

This is THE cage plan for my pigs...

lilchris_28

Cavy Slave
So this is the tentative plan for my guinea pig cage. Any glitches or anything anyone sees now would be greatly appreciated unless you want to laugh at me when I find out for myself later.... I'll be the first to admit I'm not an artist so don't laugh at my drawing please. The dotted square is where there will be a loft and the boxes with arrows are ramps that are going to be on either side. For safety, the loft will have cubes around the edge everywhere but where the ramps are so my pigs don't fall. The ramps my dad is going to build for me (he doesn't know it yet). We're going to use wood with rubber shelving "paper" on it for traction and have sides on the ramps so they don't fall. You can't really read the text on the pic because it's so small, but the top and right side are 6 grids and the bottom and far left are 2 grids...Everything else is however many grids it takes.

(broken link removed)

What do you all think? See anything that needs tweaking?

Marlania

Cavy Slave
Do you have a bigger version of the picture? It's kind of hard to read (at least for me ;)).

Eolith

Cavy Slave
Whoa. How many piggies do you have? (or are going to get). You're lucky you have the space for such a mansion. Technically I probably do too, but I'm only getting four cavies max, and they already have tons of room in my cage.

lilchris_28

Cavy Slave
I only have three. I'm planning on fostering some as well, females and neutered males in that cage, after their two week isolation period. I don't know why it made the picture so small. It was huge when I did it in paint. Does anyone know how to keep it from shrinking it like that?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I thought you had 4 piggies? You ordered 4 caves, I thought one for each of your piggers.

Anyways, the plans look really kewl.

lilchris_28

Cavy Slave
Well, I did have four, but my manager was piggysitting Abner until I had the money to get him neutered and her husband got attached to him and I've been told I can't have him back...LOL

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Ahhhhh, I had forgot that Abner was with someone else. Man that sucks they won't give him back to you.

my2humandads

Cavy Slave
So, that's two 2x3 sections attached as wings to a 3x3 section. Is that right? By my calculations, that's 28.5 sq ft of space. It's also 7' on each long side which is quite a chunk of some corner.

Is the plan to set this directly on the ground with a coroplast floor and cube sections just around the perimeter? If so, what are you planning to keep the interior corners stiff? At that size, the inherent stiffness of the grid and connector systems my be insufficient. And zip ties will definitely be floppy with some attention to the matter. As simple fix would be running a string from the interior corners at ground level under the coroplast connecting to the grids on the other side. It might also be a good idea to run the same kind of string from the two interior corners to enforce squareness.

The 3x3 area will be a great place to place something comfy on which to recline.

Since you're planning to have cavy visitors, I'd suggest making the coroplast walls pretty high in case you have little ones.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.