Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Litter box for piggies

ashtin49

Cavy Slave
Hi,

Hope I'm posting in the right forum?!?!

Anyway, I use Carefresh in my whole cage. I'm thinking of getting a litter box.
Any suggestions? Should I get a corner one? What should I put in it? I know some people use carefresh, but my whole cage already has that?

Also, regarding fleece, people say they use bricks to hold it down. These are regular bricks you get at home depot? What other things do you use to hold down the fleece besides bricks?

Thanks

LBKK

Cavy Slave
I dont use anything for my fleece. I sewed the fleece to fit perfectly inside and since it is so thick (4 - 5 layers), it stays in place perfectly! On 1 side, I have a bit of extra fleece that flips over so the girls can burrow under it, like a little tunnel. One note of caution though, if you do this, make SURE you wash the fleece in hot water and dry it in the dryer for a long time to shrink it BEFORE sewing it! :)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Why does a person need 4-5 layers of fleece? The fleece will just trap the pee inside making it a mess. Personally, I wouldn't go over 2 layers at the very most LBKK.

LBKK

Cavy Slave
I bought twin sized fleece blankets and after folding it, that's what it worked out to.....didnt really think of how many layers I'd need! I only sewed up one side though so the size is correct, and easy to place into the cage but when washing it, the layers unfolds quite a bit which makes it easy to clean. I normally shake out all the poop and hay that is stuck on it and wash it in my washing machine with hot water. Once I am done, I run the washing machine through a hot cycle with nothing in it but a bunch of bleach to clean it out/sterilize it. Seems to work pretty good so far!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.