Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

carefresh bedding

ashtin49

Cavy Slave
What is the best bedding for piggies? Petsmart told me carefresh, but of course after reading about pet stores here I don't trust them.

Thanks

2pigs4rats

Cavy Slave
Carefresh is pretty good bedding. It's safe as it isn't usually as dusty as sawdust etc and doesn't have dangerous chemicals like some pine beddings have. It's also quite good on the absorbancy and odour control scale, it is however pretty expensive to fill a c&c cage with it. I use fleece as the primary bedding for my cage which wicks the pee down away from your piggies feet. I use carefresh in their litter box, and it's pretty good at keeping odour under control.

ashtin49

Cavy Slave
Where do you get fleece and should all piggy homes have a litter box? What is your litter box made of and do you just put carefresh in it?

Thanks

guineapiglvr14

Cavy Slave
You can buy fleece at Walmart, you don't really need a litter box, because some of them don't even go it.
You can either buy litter boxes at the petstore or online or you can make your own out of coroplast.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
The pet stores usually push Carefresh, because it is the most expensive. They wholesale for 10 bucks a bag and they sell them for $20. It's dusty sometimes though.

That, aspen or wood stove pellets usually work well.

Hansel

Cavy Slave
Carefresh isnt a bad bedding. It depends on how big your cage is because it get VERY costy. I found that it was very dusty as well. I currently use fleece, if you search the forum for fleece, you will find lots of info.

HopiRaven

Cavy Slave
We use Cell-Sorb Plus. It's not cheap though, that's for sure. We only have the one piggie so it's manageable, cost wise. It does contain orders MUCH BETTER than when we used Carefresh.

2pigs4rats

Cavy Slave
You acn get fleece from pretty much any fabric shop. I find that the litter box does cut down on pee throughout the cage and less poops are scattered around. Litter boxes are not essential since some piggies don't use them, they are particularly effective if placed under a hayrack as pigs tend to go where they are and they do spend a lot of time munching on hay. My litter box is a large shoebox at the moment - it was a small cat litter tray. I use newspaper - carfresh and hay on the top layer.

Katie

Cavy Slave
HopiRaven said:
We use Cell-Sorb Plus. It's not cheap though, that's for sure. We only have the one piggie so it's manageable, cost wise. It does contain orders MUCH BETTER than when we used Carefresh.

I get my Cell Sorb from a feed store. It's $16.99 for one of the huge brown bags (20lbs?) that retail $21.99 at the pet store.

Where in Ohio are you located? I might be able to help you find it cheaper somewhere.

LBKK

Cavy Slave
I started out with using Carefresh and found very quickly that I was spending $25+ every 2 weeks in bedding!!! (I have a 2x4 with a 2x2 loft). I have since switched to fleece, which I bought 4 twin sized fleece blankets at Walmart for $12.99 each and sewed them a bit to fit nicely in the cage. I use 2 blankets, 1 for each level and have the other 2 to put down when I take the 1st set out to wash. I line the bottom with newspaper and clean out the cage (wash blankets, take out old newspaper, scrub coroplast with water & vinegar) approx. every 5 days. I find there is no difference in smell. I can vaccuum up the poop easily (I do this daily) and the 2 best parts:
NO MORE SPENDING ON BEDDING! AAANNNDDD...... NO MORE BEDDING GETTING TRACKED ALL OVER THE HOUSE! :) I would recommend fleece over any other type of bedding.

HopiRaven

Cavy Slave
Where in Ohio are you located? I might be able to help you find it cheaper somewhere.[/QUOTE]

We are in Middleburg Hts, outside of Cleveland. Thank You!

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
I use Carefresh, which is very expensive. I have a 3x4 with a 1x3 loft and use a 50L bag of it every other week. You can use kiln-dried pine and aspen.

pdqgp

Cavy Slave
I started using carefresh all over, but just recently switched my thinking. I am going to use cell-sorb throughout the cage, except in their bedding area. It provides a stable foundation to walk on as it's 1-2" deep. From what I've heard and read, it also outlasts carefresh too. Carefresh is soft for their sleeping area and does a good job of absorbing pee and what not so I figure perhaps they will continue to pee there and I'll have less overall to change. We'll see.

pennick

Cavy Slave
I have been using carefresh and love it. It stays in place, no dust, and when I have to clean it out and put a new bag in there is no mess. I buy the 50 liters (the largest one) and its on sale at petco from 10.00 to 13.50. There is always a special, whether is free shipping if you spend a certain amount of money or a flat rate shipping or the product is reduced even more. I have a fairly large cage for 2 piggies and change it out every 2 - 3 weeks, . I use one bag.

gpigluver14

Cavy Slave
I use fleece and carefresh bedding. There is towels in the cage and I use an old comforter. It is a lot cheaper to have fleece and just wash it every once in a while once it gets soiled, but I like the carefresh, because it is very absorbant, usually it will last about a week in the smaller portion of my cage, if I put clean stuff on top of the peed on bedding.

The larger bags of it I can get for around $16.99 at some stores, and it lasts a long time, sometimes a little over a month if I use it wisely. The brand I use isn't that dusty.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.