Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Any recommendations for second level?

david

Cavy Slave
I want to add a second level to my guinea pig's cage. What would be a good way to make steps or some way to get up to the second level? What materials should I use?

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

david

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the link and the suggestion.

yataebo

Cavy Slave
2nd level

David, you can take a look at my cage it has three levels. Maybe it will give you some idea's for your second level, I have a log cabin house on the first floor and they jump up on that to get to the second level. I made a ramp leading to the third level.
I plan to upload some more recent photos very soon!
But if I can help email me
(broken link removed)

david

Cavy Slave
Nice site and nice cage. Thanks for the site. Do they ever slide off the ramp? I'd be worried if my guinea pig fell off. Seeing a cage like that makes me want to build a ten story cage. You've inspired me to make a cage more than two stories now. When you have more than one story in a cage do the guinea pigs sleep together or do they each take their own floor?

cavylover

yataebo

Cavy Slave
More Levels

Thanks for the compliment on my cage!

To answer your questions:
They have never fell off the ramp, I used old carpet over the wood and they do just fine on it. Using the carpet you will make sure they don't slip on the wood. Just keep in mind if the incline is to steep they won't use it so make it so they don't feel like they are going to fall off.

As far as sleeping together they almost always sleep on the same level but in their own house. Every now and then mostly during the day you will see one on the bottom level and one on the third but they always sleep on the same level during the night hours.

I would add on to mine but I wouldn't be able to reach it to clean it out (lol).
Again, if you need any help feel free to email me at [email protected]
Good Luck with your cage, make sure you post a picture when you are finished!

Last edited:

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
Ramps

Hi David,
Fiddlesticks work great. I also picked up two different size ramps from (broken link removed). I just attached them with zip ties. Another idea is to add a platform level and then you can use two smaller ramps. Check out what we did...
https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/data/507/8PB100026-med.JPG

Good Luck!

david

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the great suggestions. What are fiddlesticks? I did a google search on them but I get about 10000000 options. Are they similar to the wood used for popsicles or is that what they are?

david

Cavy Slave
Ok I did a better search. I found fiddlesticks here (broken link removed)

The question is where do I buy these?

cavylover

cavylover_76

Cavy Slave
They carry fiddlesticks at Pestsmart.

I used two grids that I bent into shape so that it was kind of a bridge with sides so they could NOT fall off. I covered it with an old dish towel and attached it with zip ties. They actually used it, but they didn't like the hay loft. I think it was just too much work for their unbelievably busy little lives!!! LOL It's hard to be a guinea!

Good luck,
Marie

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
Fiddlesticks

You can buy Fiddlesticks at most pet stores. I looked on the Petsmart web site and they don't have them listed, but they do sell them there. I refuse to shop at Petco so I don't know about them. Check out this link to see what they look like...(broken link removed) Luck

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.