Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Should I get these little boys?

2pigs4rats

Cavy Slave
Ok here's the story - I saw two cutesy little boys in the petstore today, and I was sooo tempted to get them. I have three cages - sootie lives on his own, the big boys cage and a Qtine and new arrival cage. I have four rats at the moment, so two more isn't going to be a huge expense increase, except obviously money for vets bills if they all suffer a myco attack or something similar. I do have the money if this happens so both expense and space are not an issue, since according to the cage size guide I can fit 7 rats in the big cage.
So should I get them or not - I can't really think of a good reason not to, but I really don't want to rush into it then realise it's a bad idea.
So if anyone can bring me to my senses please do or do you thing it's a great idea?:)

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Both of my rats are boys and are about 3 months old. I made them a cage using extra grids and a rubbermaid bottom and it is working great! Only cost me about $12. As long as you give them the proper quarantine they should be fine. If you really want them them go for it.

Zenith Cherry

Cavy Slave
Do you honostly think any one here is going to talk you out of buying 2 petstore rats? Lol. I say go for it. That's what I've always done and I've never had a bad rat in my life. As long as you have room, supplies and the money to back it up, psh, knock yourself out!

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
Do you honostly think any one here is going to talk you out of buying 2 petstore rats?

YES!!!

PLEASE don't buy these rats! This site is very anti breeding and anti petsore, because of the cycle of cruelty and overpopulation. Please read the "sticky" threads in the kitchen about pet sores vs rescue to see why.

By all means get more ratty friends but please find some rescue ones needing a good home.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
This thread is from January. There is no feed back saying 2pigs4rats bought the rats or not.
Just for the sake if anyone else reads this: Please do not buy rats (or anything else) from a petstore. The massive breeding goes for rats also. They are inter breed and are prone to all sorts of problems. When I bought rats from petstores, they were sick and all died young or had tumors. I now adopt my rats from a rat rescue here in AZ. Its called Any Rat Recue if anyone is interested. (broken link removed)
Again bottom line. DO NOT BUY ADOPT!!!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.