PDA

View Full Version : What are rabbits like as pets?

Hansel
01-06-06, 01:27 pm
I have had GP's, hamsters, birds, cats, and dogs but never a rabbit. What are they like as pets? Are they social with humans? Once I get into a house I would like to adopt one or two but I would like to know more about them. I have held a few, but they never seemed to like being picked up.

kimberly78
01-06-06, 02:06 pm
www.rabbit.org (http://www.rabbit.org) to read up. Almost all rabbits do not like to be held, there are exceptions to the rule as wtih any animal. They are unique in the way of being a pet. They are not like a cat, dog, pigger or birds as I have them all LOL. They can be very lovie and show their affection by kisses (if you ever are special to a bunny and they share this with you, its the most awesome thing!) My rabbit LOVES to be around people but normally doesnt sit still to be pet unless you put him on your lap. They are such a joy to have though and I cant imagine my life without one now. I am going to a rescue for a bonding session to try to pair my guy up, since I do feel they (like gps) enjoy having a friend. After you read up I would suggest going to a bunny rescue to spend a few hours with the ones they have needing homes to get an idea of their personality. You can also ask to foster to get a feel for it to see if rabbits are a pet for you. Dont rush into anything, spend the time to read up, its so worth it. If you have any more questions please post. There are a lot of great books out there, one of my favs is rabbits for dummies. It talks about rabbit breeds, care, housing etc.

C&R5567
01-06-06, 03:50 pm
One thing I wish I could change is using the word, "pet". The word is defined as an animal kept for amusement, to be pet, or as an "object" of affection, or companionship. Now companionship is more appropriate I feel.

I always say that our bunny and guinea pig are human companions. I just feel better with that desdriptiion. They are truely family members. I never describe our little family as pets.

As family members? Bunnies can reap endless rewards for the people who have taken the time to educate themselves on this amazing, beautiful and wonderful animal. My bunny brings far more smiles to my face on a regular basis, day after day than people do.

bunnyluv17
01-06-06, 09:40 pm
Rabbits definitely are unique. They are prey animals and are very different from the typical cats and dogs. Since you have had guinea pigs and birds, you know something about how rabbits will react. Most rabbits are shy with strangers and they require you to earn their trust. Once you do, they can be extremely affectionate, friendly, and outgoing.

Rabbits are more intelligent than most people realize and they also seem to love being mischievious. They require plenty of mental stimulation in the form of toys, exercise, and attention. Bored rabbits often become destructive rabbits. Bunny proofing is a must! Electrical cords must be blocked off or protected, plants must be out of reach, things must be picked up off the floor, lots of acceptable toys must be available, etc...

In general, rabbits do not like loud noises, quick movements, or being picked up and carried around. This is one reason why rabbits don't do well with young children. Rabbits really seem to enjoy when you spend some quality time with them down on their level.

Rabbits are quiet, clean (they groom themselves like cats), easily litterbox trained once spayed/neutered, playful, and obviously cute. They all have individual personalities, some are extremely outgoing and people-oriented while others are more timid and some are laid back couch potatoes.

I have found that the more time the rabbit is out of the cage and the more time you spend with him, the friendlier and more trusting he will become. So even a shy rabbit can become an outgoing little companion.

SuzieQ33
01-12-06, 07:55 pm
I have had pet rabbits twice. The first time I was newly divorced and wanted a pet to care for. Funny sounding but its cheaper than therapy. I bought a meat bunny from a co-worker.(Eight dollars.) I would have tried to take the whole bunch but I was in an apartment. So I got George. He or she I never really knew was a very large grey, sort of a peppered color, fluffy lap bunnie. I call him that because he never struggled or tried to get away from me. I could even trim his nails without him struggling, but he was far to big to hold and trim. My brother thought he was boring because he didnt do anything. I had a human baby gate I would put up and he had the run of a couple of areas of my apartment. Of course at that time I also got a ferret, they were never out at the same time. I couldnt take the idea of either of them gettting hurt.
I found George a home with a school teacher as he was so laid back and seemed to like being petted. The teacher had other animals and was a good pet owner. And I couldnt take him with me as I moved out of Alaska to California. There I adopted a lop eard rabbit from the local shelter. Peter. He was on death row, meaning there wasnt any food or water in his cage, to make the injection less messy. He was alot of fun, he played with me and had an attitude. When I moved from there I made sure he had a loving mom to take care of him. She even told me they had "cuddles". Both rabbits were perfect pets.
I did notice while searching for adoptable piggies at shelters, there were alot of rabbits listed. I might get another bunny later on.

i love piggies
01-24-06, 03:42 pm
Well I have 3 male rabbits, Buzz is so friendly and enjoys cuddling under my chin. The other two thumper and winston are a little less friendly. But they do like the occasional cuddle.
I also have 7 female rabbits. They are all very friendly. Dolly my oldest and favourite bunny is so friendly. She comes to her name, and does laps round my legs. She will sit eagerly for a pat. She is a giant rabbit.
I have mentioned little star before, she was a mess when I got her, but she is the cutest little thing. She always licks my face.
I think rabbits make great companions, they all bring the light in my life. Without them I think I would be lost.
I know it sounds stupid but I feel better when I am around them.
Also I havea few differnet breeds including:
-Mini-lop X dwarf
-dwarf
-Giant something
-Rex X
-and just plain old domestic
and a few others I cant think of right now

guineapiglvr14
01-24-06, 03:56 pm
Are rabbits social like guinea pigs? Like do they need another cagemate?

naturestee
01-24-06, 04:03 pm
Are rabbits social like guinea pigs? Like do they need another cagemate?

Yes, rabbits are social. But you have to take care when you introduce them, and it's best to keep them in separate cages at first. This is because rabbits are also territorial, and will defend what they think is theirs. They can be very aggressive about this. I tried bonding my two pairs together, and Mocha put a 6 cm gash in Fey's stomach along with several bites. Mocha is more territorial than the average rabbit, though. Fey made a full recovery, but I spent most of the night before Thanksgiving and a fair chunk the next morning at the emergency vet's. And it broke the bond between Fey and her sister Sprite.

Needless to say, spay/neuter is a MUST. And if they just had the surgery, wait for at least a month to give them time to heal and to let their hormones cool down.

vegbunny83
01-25-06, 03:21 pm
I will agree with what everyone has said, and say that Rabbits are very unique pets! I used to have two little bunny girls, Charlie and Oreo. Oreo recently passed away due to old age... if her former owners would have treated her better, I'm sure she could have lived another couple years, but she was neglected before I got her. :(

My current bunny, Charlie, has been with me since she was a baby. She is about 4 years old, and very smart! She is litterbox trained, and loves to be petted and sit on people's laps. She stays in her spacious cage while I am not home, and is let out to play when I am here. She often nudges at me and gives me kisses, and loves to play games of tag! she is not very shy around strangers, but doesn't like loud noises or sudden movements. She has a great personality and is smarter than my cats! lol

Rabbits DON'T like being picked up, much like Guinea Pigs, but once you get them in your arms or lap they are generally fine. It depends on the rabbit also- some rabbits are more social, and some aren't, similar to cats. They are social and will like a cagemate if you pair them up properly, but they don't *need* a cagemate like many guinea pigs seem to. They form bonds with humans- Charlie definitely has a bond with both me and my mom!

They are great companions, as long as you take care of them properly, rabbit-proof your house against chewing, and don't mix them with your guinea pigs! :)

Peace :heart:
Julie

Cavy Tamer
02-21-06, 12:25 am
My rabbit doesn't like to be picked up at all. He always gives me very angry looks and lets out a loud snort when I have to pick him up. As long as I pet him while he's on the ground, he's pretty happy.

Here's the little guy doing his thing:

http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/6913/img91823ac.jpg

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5762/img91832bk.jpg

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/1553/img91855ji.jpg

http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/3960/img92166ou.jpg

http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/2898/img93441yy.jpg