Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Have ideas for connecting/patching coroplast?

Suisan

Cavy Slave
I just came back from a friend's garage this evening. We were looking over her 4' x 8' political signs from November's election; they are free and they are coroplast, and I totally want them for a C & C cage.

Except when they were mounted by the roadside, holes were punched through them to zipties them to supporting stakes. I'm thinking of cutting up one of my yard signs (also coroplast) and hot gluing a disc behind each hole to patch it.

This won't make the bottom totally, completely level (but actually I could fill the "divet" in with a glob of hot glue), but my main concern is waterproofing and melting.

Will hot glue melt coroplast? And has anyone patched holes in coroplast? What did you use? Did the patch hold up over time?

(And in a rather bizarre aside--I have about 150 coroplast yard signs of my own in my storage shed, but they are small, around 16" x 34". Is there a decent way of connecting them together for a pan, since they are (a) free and (b) taking up space?)

Who knew that running for office could provide supplies for guinea pigs? I wonder if they could put a bunch of pre-printed ballpoint pens to good use....

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
I just used clear packaging tape to connect and tape everything. I Imaging you could use duct tape also. I hear that duct tape can fix anything.

Suisan

Cavy Slave
babygrl1234 said:
I hear that duct tape can fix anything.

In my experience it holds most farms together. That and baling twine!

But is a strip top and bottom (with the hole sandwiched inbetween) waterproof?

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
Have you got any left over coroplast? I always have some laying around.

Get the larger piece of coroplast and 'patch'' it up using some smaller pieces. Using duct tape firmly tape the smaller piece on both sides in ''criss cross' paterns this makes it stronger and more secure.

I hope this works if you have some. It may overlap a little but the smaller you cut it the less noticable it will be. I have patched up alot of my larger sheets this way.

I have also used smaller pieces and conected them altogether to make a larger sheet. I just use tape and connect the ''join'' in the middle. I dont know if my methods will make it waterproof permanetly maybe give it a try anyway? Maybe someone will come up with better ideas. Cant harm in trying lol.

blink1177

Cavy Slave
Duct tape doesn't work at all. I tried it to hold my coroplast litter box together and it didn't last five minutes. But the clear packaging tape works great!

SpoiledlilPigs

Cavy Slave
Ive done the same. On my most recent cage I had a 1x2 area left to do and no coroplast big enough to do it. So I just used what I had left and taped it all together. Works just fine. Just isnt the nicest looking thing with all the fleece off of it hah oh well, does its job.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Duct tape and aquarium silicone can fix anything. Several of my cages are patched together with one or the other. The girl's 2x8 is made out of 3 different sections of coroplast(not all the same color either). Most if it is duct taped together but 1 side is siliconed together. The boys was also part of an L shape so it didn't have a side at one end. I had to cut a strip of coroplast and then siliconed it in place. Totally waterproof. Duct tape is pretty much water proof as well but after 6 months to a year it has to be replaced.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.