Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

A difficult choice... surrender or not?

redinque

Cavy Slave
Question: Is it better to surrender a rabbit to a rescue/shelter even though there are so many unwanted rabbits or is it better to keep it even though care is not ideal? Example: Two rabbits were left at our school, and someone donated a hutch. The rabbits cannot be kept in the classroom, and must remain outside. They are given vegetables, hay, and pellets. Their hutch is modified so that they don't step on wire. They are allowed fenced play time on grass whenever possible. I felt that the rabbits could have a better environment, but upon research, it seems that there are way too many abandoned rabbits that can be successfully rehoused.

Would surrendering the rabbits be in their best interests? They are a bonded pair and are healthy. Yes, it would be ideal if they could become someone's house rabbit and treated as part of the family, but how likely is that going to happen? What do you guys think?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Rabbits have it worse than guinea pigs in shelters. Contact the HRS or rabbit rescue in your area and ask their assessment.

Hansel

Cavy Slave
I can second CavySpirit on that, when I was at the shelter for my GP's there had to have been at least twice as many rabbits :-(.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
Their situation doesn't seem so bad, I've heard of much worse. The main concerns I would have is whether they are spayed or neutered and what happens to them during school breaks. Females have a very high risk of uterine cancer and other reproductive diseases. If they are not fixed, the local House Rabbit Society chapter may be able to help with low cost spay/neuter.

Maybe you could bring in some toys for them to enrich their lives. There are many cheap toys you can find around the house, such as:
old phonebook to shred
a towel to scoot around
small sandbox
cardboard boxes with bunny doors cut out
tunnels
untreated baskets
pinecones (baked at 200 degrees for 20 min)
untreated apple tree branches
hard plastic baby toys (especially those that make noise)
plastic slinkies
etc

redinque

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I agree that they could have it worse. To be honest, it wasn't until I did research about guinea pigs that I came across information about proper rabbit nutrition. I had no idea that they had to have hay and that giving them only carrots and iceberg lettuce wasn't good. I do provide them with entertainment items like phone books and toys for them to play with because I read that rabbits are quite smart and need diversions to keep their minds active. During breaks, teachers came to take care of them and feed them.

I was just wondering what people thought. I'm thinking about giving them to a friend that has rabbits. She will be able to give them a better home. My guinea pigs have it real good, and I just don't like that the rabbits' lives have to be sub-standard.

naturestee

Cavy Slave
If you know somebody who would take good care of them, it would be ideal. It sounds like they're getting decent care at the school, so I'd be reluctant to bring them to a shelter.

SkinnyPiggys

Cavy Slave
I think it's a good idea to find them a home. Rabbits deserve the same loving care that we give to our guinea pigs. They should not be kept outside. If you can't find a good home, please try to find a good rescue. There are some great ones out there.

For more info please read: www.rabbit.org

Thanks for caring about them. Please keep us updated!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.