Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

pets shop bunny's

i love piggies

Cavy Slave
My mum got me a new bunny, from the pet shop. Her intentions were in the right place, but she didn't know I wouldn't want one from the store.

I had been looking for a dwarf/mini rabbit to keep Jersey (dwarf female) happy.
Anyway I now have a mini lop. Her name is little star. I intended to keep her by herself for a week, but on the second day something was wrong.
I noticed her coat was matted and wet.
She had been cut, scratched you name it. I was horrified and furious. But most of all I felt sorry for my little star.
I had to trim away her fur and bath her. I have a liquid solution that is for animals cuts and abrasions etc. It works within a week. (yes it's safe for rabbits and guinea pigs)
Her cuts are all healed up now, she just has scabs and bald patches. I will post pics later.
She is still by herself and will stay that way until she fully recovers.
She was supposed to be 8 weeks old but I dont believe that for a minute.

She sits on my shoulder or under my chin. She loves to lick me. I guess she has a strong attachment to me. I figure she was taken from her Mum too earlie.
I guess I wanted to share this with everyone, Pet shops really are crappy. It's no wonder she was as bad as she was. She was housed with about 10 other rabbits in a small cage.

I know she isn't in pain but I still cry for her, She is so brave. My little star

i love piggies

Cavy Slave
This is my brave little star. She is deffinatly a survivour.

These are some of the cuts on her side. In the middle of the shaved bit is a 5cm cut. As you can see in picture her bottom is also shaved it was cut fromone side to the other. It is almost on big scab.

This is another cut on the other side it is also large.

This is a picute of her bottom. It was pretty bad. The blue colouring is the
solution I use. It is quite effective.

I don't like pet shops, but I am glad I got this little baby. I think she was destined to be mine.
Sorry if the pictures aren't clear, but I think you get the picture of how bad she was and still is.

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
She is adorable!:) That's so sad, I hope she clears up soon. Poor rabbit. I thought mini lops couldn't stand their ears on end? Or can they?

i love piggies

Cavy Slave
Sorry my mistake, she is a mini dwarf x mini lop. The store had a few of them. The breeder wasn't happy because the ears didn't lop. I have heard of this happening with rabbits first litters. Strange. Mum said a few of them had sort of lopped ears?

Kriket

Cavy Slave
Thats so sad. I was in a pet store this past weekend (I didn't know they sold animals, I went in to see if they carried oxbow and lo and behold bins of bunnies and piggies *sigh*) and saw the 2 bunnies *ahem* getting ready to have some more babies. They only had the two in the one cage so I'm assuming that it was an intended match. I asked a salesclerk if he knew that the two rabbits were not same sex, and he looked at me like I was retarded. I couldn't help myself and went over to check the piggies. 2 bins, 3 pigs total. A very very pregnant female, in with a male, and in the other cage a lone little boy. I picked him up and he was nothing but bones! I felt so horrible, but by then the sales guy was off doing something else, so I ended up just leaving. I will be calling someone today, to try to get the situation fixed.

C&R5567

Cavy Slave
The sad truth is as long as people patronize pet stores that sell animals they will never stop selling animals. They keep the various mills busy. It's a complete disgrace.

There's a pet store in a mall that I just HATE! And eveytime I go there I walk through it (if I get the chance) and say out loud, "Animals are dying in shelters while you are all here!" and various other things I think up. I've been thrown out a few times but I keep going back! And I will. I even say it in front of the store. This place is well known for getting animals from mills. It shocks me that they are still in business. And I can't stand those sales people standing in front of the pet areas looking and waiting for people to get those dumb "goo-goo" looks on their faces so they can pounce on them for a big, expensive sale. Stinking bloodsuckers.

Sorry, I got worked up for a second.

Anyway that's just my personal mission aside from the advocate work I do with an organization here where I live as well as being a proud member of Peta. I tend to get in trouble at every pet store I walk into. So what.

As for your little precious baby that you have now adopted, well all the better, I guess. At least the bunny won't have to live in horrible conditions anymore.

And did you know that when a bunny licks you that means they love you? The bunny is already bonding with you. Bunny kisses. :)

beaglebaby2

Cavy Slave
My dwarf lops ears havent ever dropped. Aw Hope she clears up soon and she is adorable!!

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
What a cute bunny!!!!!!!!!!

i love piggies

Cavy Slave
C&R5567, thanks I thought my little star obviously loved me. But now I know for sure.

RabsRgreat

Cavy Slave
i love piggies said:
C&R5567, thanks I thought my little star obviously loved me. But now I know for sure.

I just joined and saw your post, I Love Piggies - and I commend you for RESCUEING Little Star from that Pet Store.
I certainly detest pet stores that sell animals, and I adopted my rabbits from the House Rabbit Society.
But Little Star must have been destined for you.
And I'm sure she does love you for that.
May she have a long healthy life with you and your other bun.

fallen__angel
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

C&R5567

Cavy Slave
RabsRgreat said:
I just joined and saw your post, I Love Piggies - and I commend you for RESCUEING Little Star from that Pet Store.

The fact of the matter is that getting an animal from a pet store is NOT recuing, but is indeed compounding the problem by keeping the garbage breeding for profit business in business. The only way to stop this problem is to NOT buy any animal ever from a pet store. Ever.

The only sure way that you can help to combat this is to make it known to stores that you will not patronize their business as long as they have animals and second, that you ALWAYS adopt from a shelter or a rescue.

This little bunny is already home, nothing can be done about that, and that's fine. Perhaps her mother did not know or understand the gravity of the situation. Just that education on this matter is extremely important.

RabsRgreat

Cavy Slave
C&R5567 said:
"The fact of the matter is that getting an animal from a pet store is NOT recuing, but is indeed compounding the problem by keeping the garbage breeding for profit business in business. The only way to stop this problem is to NOT buy any animal ever from a pet store. Ever."
C&R5567 said:

C&R5567 - I agree with you WHOLE HEARTEDLY about animals in Pet stores, or even buying supplies from stores that sell animals - beleive me! I preach it to everyone, and I practice what I preach. I adopt (rabbits) exclusively from the HRS.

But - I also believe that animals are destined to come into our lives.
i love piggies's Mom bought Little Star, and ILP said she didn't approve of pet stores - but - Little Star is now in ILP's good hands.
The animals in pet stores suffer greatly - but it's a Catch 22. We don't buy the animals in hopes that they will stop obtaining them, but the animals there sit and suffer in the Pet Shop. They are the victims.

My point was to lessen ILP's 'guilt' of getting Little Star - because I believe that one little bun was indeed RESCUED from almost certain death and definite misery, and will hopefully recover and grow into a healthy happy rabbit now that she is in a loving environment.

"This little bunny is already home, nothing can be done about that, and that's fine. Perhaps her mother did not know or understand the gravity of the situation. Just that education on this matter is extremely important."

Agreed - But this Little Star has beat all odds - I have to believe there is a reason for her - out of all the buns in that shop - that she is now a part of i love piggies' life. I consider that 'rescued'.

SkinnyPiggys

Cavy Slave
Please check out this site. It has great info on rabbits.

www.Rabbit.org

C&R5567

Cavy Slave
No one feels that this young girl should have guilt lessened. She didn't buy the bunny, she was unaware. But it's done. No one would suggest taking the bunny back, of course not. This girl has nothing to feel guilty about. But the fact remains is that ANY ANIMAL bought from a pet store is NOT a rescue. It is not a catch-22. For someone who says she speaks of the principles of adopting from rescues your position doesn't make any sense. I'm sorry but you won't find many here to back up that theory. Yes, the bunny now has a god home, that is commendable, but it is not a rescue.

Yes, it stinks that pet store animals suffer. But most animals will surely go to their deaths if they are left unwanted at shelters and rescues are extended far beyond their limits with unwanted bunnies. This is a serious problem. So many pet store bunnies are and will be bought for kids as easter gifts and wind up in the shelters or rescues later after the novelty wears off and the bunnies grow up and kids find out that bunnies aren't so easy to deal with. That, on top of the ones who are thrown out to fend for themselves and will certainly die from starvation or predators on the streets.

The point is, you buy any animal from a pet store and the mill replaces them and the cycle continues. The mills keep cashing in, the uncaring pet stores keep cashing in, the shelter bunnies die and the rescues keep overextending themselves.

i love piggies

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone for your imput. I realise this thread has angered a few people as My little star was from the pet store. Yes this isn't helping the poor bunnies out there in shelters. But
Please correct me if I am wrong.
As I understand in the USA and UK there are very serious problems with animals in shelters, because of unwanted litters, surrenders and people just not wanting the animals. This is sad.
I totally understand the anger directed at pet stores.

I am from Australia and as I understand we have more of a dog & cat problem. People always dump cats and dogs at thier local pound or shelter etc. I know of a few pounds and shelters close by, most are 3 or more hours away.
I have contacted a few local pounds and asked them to contact me if there are any guniea pigs or rabbits. (So there will be no more from the store)
They don't often get them but, wen they do I will be called to see what I can do to help.
My first 3 guinea pigs were from the store. I really didn't know any better. After seeing this site and a few others, I decided I would have to try and rescue some.
So I set out to find people's unwanted animals. Lots of people
have guinea pigs, rabbits, cats and dogs they can no longer take care of. I have now got 5 boars and 9 sows. I have also got 6 rabbits.

I guess what I wanted to say was, in Australia there aren't alot of resues/shelters. So I think that is why people go to a pet store. Shelters are easliy acessed in captial cities, but it is way too hard for people from country towns to get to.
I also wanted to say that, I'm not a little girl. Yes my mum did buy me a rabbit, but I am actually 19 years old.

i love piggies

Cavy Slave
Well I am pleased to say that my darling little star is all better. I have been waiting so long for this day to come. So has she. Day after day I have been watching her looking out from her own cage at the other rabbits. The poor little thing would look up at me with the cutest eyes, as if to say please let me out. Yesterday I introduced to her new mates and it went really well. She is such a little goer. Now I just have to wait for her fur to fully grow back and I will post some picture of her.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.