Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Some nutrition Qs

Micki

Cavy Slave
I have stopped adding C drops to water after reading it is not good. I do think water is going a bit faster. I am worried about her getting enough C. She is getting Oxbow, and lots of hay. She is picky about veggies and only eats a few evevn if I take everything else out. She loves grass and some baby greens and I grow them in a barrel for her on the patio since I have other pets. Grass is her favorite. It is going dormant here in Washington. So I started some in doors. Are there grasses higher in C? Guinealynx is great posting veggies but grass is not on there. Probably not available since people don't usually eat alot of grass.Just wondering if anyone knows. How do you get GPs to take C tablets? [They have it down in Lynx that you can if you are worried] I searched the forum but couldnt find an answer.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
What are the mgs of the C tablets? They only need 10-30mg per kg of C per day as a precaution. I can't give you a list of nutrients in grass but she really needs veggies to get adequate C without the tablets. Good everyday veggies are romaine, red and/or green leaf lettuce, other leafy lettuces (no iceburg), cilantro, bell peppers (capsicum) any color and zucchini. If you have only tried certain veggies once with her keep trying, sometimes it takes them a while to catch on. If she is an only piggie, a friend would greatly benefit her in social terms but will also help teach her to eat good veggies as well.

Micki

Cavy Slave
I havn't given any C in tablet form. I wasn't sure how to get her to eat it. I only give those leafy lettuces, like romain and loose leaf, bell pepper she won't eat. I havn't tried zucchini ,or cilantro but I will. She is alone but we are waiting to adopt from a shelter in our area that has pregnant pig. It will be a couple months I think. At least 4-6 wks. She was dumped off because she is prenant. GPs are hard to find here unless you buy from a the pet shop. They have a young girl but if I buy her they'll just get more to replace ger. I havn't seen her with veggies the two times I stopped so she may not know either. My girl does LOVE spinich but we try not give ger too much of that. How does the tabblets work? Beyond the 10-30mg. Say 20 mg a day. How to you get them to take it? Is grass not healthy as a veggie? Should I not be growing her grass?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
The grass is fine for her. Forages like that are perfectly natural, but you should try the veggies as well. Check out the vitamin C tablets on (broken link removed). They are made for guinea pigs, but I think you only need to give half a tab a day if they really won't eat the veggies. You can check where you get your Oxbow food to see if they carry them, or the website has online sources and a store locator. If you find a local source, make sure you call first to make sure they have what you're looking for or can order it.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
How much does she weigh?

aqh88

Cavy Slave
The nutrients in grass are quite variable depending what type of grass we are talking about and the soil it is grown on. About all you could do is have it tested possibly by a company that tests the nutrient value of hay. I would guess it's around average to slightly lower vit c but if you can actually feed 1cup of it the pig would still be getting all it needs. If you actually figure the amount of vit c in 1 cup of veggies it's well over the minimum and usually well over the recommended especially if you feed things like bell pepper. If your worried crush around 25-30mg worth of a vit c tablet and try sprinkling it over her food or if she won't eat it that way mix it with water and feed it by syringe until she starts eating more veggies. You can buy pill crushers at most stores that sell at least basic over the counter medicines.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.