Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Chickens and eggs ?

i love piggies

Cavy Slave
My friend had some chickens and when they became too large for her yard she couldn't keep them. Plus her dogs had a liking for them. She was very upset.

My parents are seperated. I asked my Dad if we could have them. He said yes. He has a split yard. 1/2 dogs 1/2 chickens.
The chickens are free range in a very large area, we have built a secure roof of mesh. To keep cats out. As they are all hens and they lay eggs and we get 1-2 dozens a week. I know there are some people on here who don't eat eggs. But I was wondering if it was ok to eat them?
We often give our neighbours, family & friends a dozen eggs. I pat the chickens alot and they are well looked after.

what do you think?

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Many people on here eat free range chemical free eggs. It's usually grocery store eggs that are met with trepidation. You know you chickens are treated well and if you have no problems eating eggs then go for it.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
If it were me, I'd eat them. From the supermarket, I buy organic, free range eggs. But if you have your own chickens, that's even better!

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
I dont eat any eggs at the moment (attempting to go vegan), but I would eat eggs that came from an animal that was free range, looked after and loved.

I find nothing wrong with it after all laying eggs is natural and if its in a nice environment I say its okay.

Maggie

Cavy Slave
My hens are free ranged, except in the winter when they have to stay inside, and I eat and sell their eggs. I find nothing wrong in eating their eggs, because it's what they do naturally and you're taking so good care of them! (I'm glad you took them! Chickens need love too!)
Without a rooster, there are no babies inside them so you aren't taking her children away or anything. (I've been told that's why some people don't eat them...I don't know, you tell me!)

i love piggies

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the replies. I do love my chickens. They are so tame, I can hold them. They are wonderful creatures.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I know, they're great. We have some over in India - I want some here though :D

bromers

Cavy Slave
I used to love to eat the fresh eggs, when I got them when I was with friends in the country who had chickens. But one time I was there and making my brother scrambled eggs. I cracked open the egg to find a chick in there! Turns out the rooster had found a way to get to the hens. If you are going to eat them make sure something like that doesnt happen because that will put you of eggs. It did to me.

Does anyone notice that we have alot of threads about chicken and eggs?

Maggie

Cavy Slave
bromers said:
Does anyone notice that we have alot of threads about chicken and eggs?

Lol, I don't mind. I love chickens, espeically mine :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.