Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Lap Time Blankets

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
We got our 60 year old sewing machine fixed (Not kidding on the age) And just felt like a little sewing so I made my first lap time blanket. I like it better than using towels for snuggling.. if anyone is interested in directions let me know.

101_0821.jpg

101_0822.jpg

101_0824.jpg

JennG

Cavy Slave
Very cute. I like those. I'm assuming its made from extra fleece? I want to get a sewing machine but like I've posted before I get nightmares from high school Home Ec class. :)

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Very very cute Slap! If you would PM me directions, that would be awesome. I'm thinking about staying with shavings for bedding right now, so I have bunches of fleece to use up for something.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Just in case anyone else wants them...

I pinned two layers of fleece together with one layer of the cotton material. You pin them wrong sides together. Sew around each edge and leave about a 4"-6" spot unsewed (not on corners). Double stich the end stitches. Then reach in and pull it outside in so the right sides are out. Then you can either blind stich (hand sew) the open hole or you can take the easy route and tuck it in and just stitch it together with a machine. It looks good if you use a similar thread so you can barely tell you have done it.

They really are good for the pigs, and you can be really creative with fabrics.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I finished my second blanket, a little smaller this time.

101_0825.jpg

101_0826.jpg

kimmee

Cavy Slave
JennG said:
I want to get a sewing machine but like I've posted before I get nightmares from high school Home Ec class. :)

OH! I know a REALLY good brand/model of sewing machine, I got it for my half-birthday (haha)... it's light, about 15 lbs, and is small so it's storable.. BUT... it is still really heavy-duty as in it can sew denim together, just not like, 4 layers of denim or something hehe.

Anyway if you're interested drop me a message and I'll find a new link to a site that has it (the one I bought it from no longer carries the same one). It is also a lot cheaper than a conventional and bulky sewing machine!

</off topic>

Maxwell those are adorable! The guinea pig wrapped up in one is SOOO cute!

A suggestion that I have, is if you're using the sewing machine to close the open spot you used to turn it right-side-out, is to sew like a "hem line" all the way around the edge. Make sure you secure all ends of thread on the machine (meaning first sew about 2 inches or an inch forward, then go back that same about, then sew forward over it again and continue around the blanket. This keeps the thread from coming out!) ;)

I LOVE SEWING! hehehe.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I *heart* your MLP linen. I have some Care Bear linen I have used for things but it just doesn't match my cage as well as MLP does. :(

I am making new cage blankets out of the 7 yards of quilted batting my husband bought for his Matrix coat then decided he didn't need. I want to wait untill I can afford some MLP fleece from Walmart. It's pricey but it will look really nice.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I have boys, so no flowers, Care Bears, or MLP for us. No Siree! I'll have to go lookin' for some manly man fleece to go with the yards of navy that I bought before deciding to stick with shavings.
Your cuddle blankets look awesome Slap. Now I'm going to have to invest in a sewing machine!

kimmee

Cavy Slave
Percy's Mom said:
...Now I'm going to have to invest in a sewing machine!

May I recommend one? :D

Brother LS 2125 Sewing Machine, 10 Built-In Stitches, 25 Stitch Functions, Electronic Foot Control - Factory serviced

(broken link removed)

It's listed for $99.99 there, I got mine for 70... so if you shop around I bet you can find a better deal than that one site :)

I love my sewing machine! :D

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the recommendation kimmee. I'll definitely have a look at that while I'm researching. It's been probably 15 years since I've used a sewing machine, so I'm looking for simple simple simple.

kimmee

Cavy Slave
Percy's Mom said:
Thanks for the recommendation kimmee. I'll definitely have a look at that while I'm researching. It's been probably 15 years since I've used a sewing machine, so I'm looking for simple simple simple.

Oh, if that is the case, then I DEFFINATELY recommend the one posted above!

It is super easy to use... the only part that confused me the first time I used it, was loading the bobbin, as it is set up in a very different way than I was used to. After about two tries though I got it, so now all the sewing is easy-easy-easy! :)

I also love using their edge-stitching to put a lovely edge on my jester bags I make for people, it looks really professional and such :D

It doesn't have a TON of options, but it has more than enough for me anyway lol

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I have a similar machine from the same company. They work very well for a first time sewing machine. The manual is clear and if you lose it you can download another one. You may want to invest in some better needles if you use a lot of think fabrics (like when making cage blankets) I have broken all 3 needles that came with the machine. 0.o

mab0615

Cavy Slave
Who wants directions!?? We just want you to make us one that will fit a 2x6. Okay, maybe that's just me.

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
Slap these are awesome! You should sell 'em. I don't have a sewing machine, and I'm not good at sewing, so I would definitely buy them! I usually just use extra fleece as a lap time blanket, but these look way better!

And yeah, we want ones that will fit 2x6 AND 2x4! xD

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I have permission from Teresa to sell the blankets. Now they are made of fleece on one side, cotton batting in the middle (to absorb any "leeks") and a polyester on the other side. Right now I am experimenting with blind stitching but until my stitches are strong enough I have to sew it shut with a regular stitch on the machine. I have one pre-made, if anyone is interested, the price is $7.00. This includes shipping anywhere in the US. You can pay me through paypal or a money order.

If you are interested I also have some MLP polyester left over as well as a striped rainbow polyester that goes well with a medium purple fleece that I have. (Pics on request) If you are interested in a particular color or pattern let me know and I can do a custom ($8) for you. All of these have the absorbant cotton batting in the middle. These also work really well as snuggly blankets for a cage, especially for babies.

I will be doing cage blankets for anwhere from a 2x3-2x6 as soon as I can save up for the material. You can choose what you would like (plain fleece, fleece with batting on the middle or bottom, etc.) The price will be as cheap as I can manage. I can take orders for those now if you are interested and I can get the material ASAP. For a 2x3 the price for a cage blanket is $22, 2x6 is $35 (shipping included).

Anyway, this is the first one, if anyone is interested. (These will last nicely in the wash on a gentle cycle. Every end is quadruple stitched so it won't come undone) The size varies slightly but they average 16"x18''.

$2 of every sale goes to The Critter Connection, a cavy rescue in CT.

101_0833.jpg

Last edited:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Slap, your sewing maching is about the same age as mine. Mine is a ca. 1950's Atlas Sewing Machine. I get one type of stitch and that's it but it still sews well.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
They do make great straight lines, don't they?

Here is a finished cage blanket for a 2x6. It looks distorted because it is sitting on a computer chair. This one is not for sale, it is for my cage, but this is what they will look like. They automatically come custom, you just let me know what kind of pattern or solid color you want and I can pick it up.

101_0834.jpg

mab0615

Cavy Slave
Have you washed them yet? Does the batting get "lumpy"? The reason I ask it that I had my sister make me one(she used 3 or more layers of batting) and after washing it, the batting seemed to be loose. I left a couple of packages of batting with her and only a couple pieces of fleece; she thought I wanted it all in one blanket.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Yes, I have. And on the gentle cycle everything comes out fine. I normally use one layer of batting, which seems to work best. I do three layers, two fleece and one batting. If you want the batting on the bottom or the middle is your choice. I use mine in the middle and it works out well. My batting is very tough cotton.

You can also choose just to have two layers of fleece, this drops the price to $30 for a 2x6. I recommend you line the bottom with newspaper and then use the blanket, this works, in my opinion, better than the batting, but each cage is different.

I am offering for sale also a misfit lap blanket. Nothing is wrong with it's functionality or durability, just that an ugly seam shows where it was sewn shut. I personally use this same color, I like it. Cost is $5.00. (One side polyester, middle cotton batting, other side polyester fleece)

101_0835.jpg

Amanda
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.