Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Do they like being on my lap??

Stradivarius

Cavy Slave
So I know that both our piggies hate getting picked up. But when I put them down on my lap, they immediately plomp down and chill, making quiet purry sounds. So I pet them. And they don't move. As a matter of fact, they'll start to look more relaxed.

My question is...do they actually enjoy this, or is it that they're feeling defenseless? Last night, I was watching a college football game on ESPN and I had them on my lap for a good 30 minutes. I'd hate to be doing something that I think may be good for Critter and Skunky but is actually torturing them...

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

pennick

Cavy Slave
Relax, they are enjoying it. Most piggies hate being picked up, but once they are on your lap they are contented and singing away.

I haven't taken my piggy out for a few days and last night when I placed her on my lap, she just spread out and started chirping and had a grand old time.

Even my new piggy will sit quietly and seems contented to be petted.

Usually a piggy that feels tortured will wheek like crazy, squirm to get away, burrow under something or play dead. Also they will make a not very nice grumbling sound to let you know to leave them alone.

Your piggies sound fine.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Out of 9 pigs I probably have one the exhibits every type of behavior there is. Snickers and Orbit are generally scared to be out and just sit there frozen and tense until they see an opening to run for a hiding place.

Peppermint and Maple just chill out, make conversational squeaky noises, sometimes lay down, and rather enjoy themselves.

Cinnamon and Pistachio are balls of energy and after about 30seconds of laptime they start wiggling and trying to run off. Given free rein they'll run all over the place, back to me, over me, off again, back again, all the way down the hall to their cage, back again... They never get tired.

Licorice and Toffee don't seem to care. They just give up and do whatever you want them to. They don't relax and make noises like Peppermint and Maple but they aren't frozen in fear or try to take off exploring.

I probably missed someone in there. The guinea pigs will tell you if they really don't like laptime. They either sit frozen and make mad dashes for any hiding place provided or they get all wiggly and want to run around. Happy pigs will relax and sometimes lay down at least halfway while making conversational noises.

JennG

Cavy Slave
I think it depends on their personalities and the age. Coco is the youngest and wants to explore the environment instead of sitting on my lap but Angel (who's probably the oldest) will sit there and relax.

Stradivarius

Cavy Slave
Thanks, all.

Yeah, I think they like being on my lap because when they don't want to be near me or be petted, they'll make sure to let me know.

Thanks again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.